Author Topic: Ann Wake - a puzzle  (Read 2260 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ann Wake - a puzzle
« on: Saturday 24 June 06 11:20 BST (UK) »
The first sighting of Ann Wake is on the 1841 census in Hull.  She is aged 4, born out of county, and with Mary Wake aged 40 and Sarah Wake aged 1 (both born in Hull).  The kind person who found this for me didn't give any more details, and the 1841 isn't indexed in our library.  However, this squares with later information.  Ann married in Hull in 1860, giving her father as James Wake, carpenter, deceased.  There's a death of a James Wake in Hull in the first quarter of 1841, which would fit.  In later censuses Ann once gave her place of birth as Stafford, but then said Hull.
So I've been to the library to look for the family in 1851.  There's no sign of Mary.  (There's a death of a Mary E. Wake in Sculcoates in 1844, but this turns out to be a spinster in Hedon).  The only Ann Wake who fits is in a complicated household.  They're in Hodgson St, Sutton, and this (maybe coincidentally, is the address of Ann's son in 1914).  We have a married couple, John and Hannah Grimshaw.  With them are:
William Wake, aged 64, widowed, born Lancaster.  The relationship is given as grandfather
Robert Wake, unmarried, son-in-law, aged 19, born in Hull
Ann Wake, aged 14, daughter, born Hull, cotton spinner
Susan Wake, aged 12, daughter, born Hull.
Now in 1860 Ann gives her occupation as cotton spinner - not that common in Hull.  So how safe is it to assume that this is the right Ann?  And if it is, what is the relationship between all these Wakes?  I presume that son-in-law means nephew - or does it?
And where was Sarah?  She's not in Hull (I only have access to the censuses for Hull and the surrounding area).  Was Susan actually Sarah?  The image clearly says Susan.
I found Sarah on the 1861 census.  She is unmarried, living as housekeeper with John Chantler, who's down as married.  There is also William Wake, aged 2, son and Louisa Wake, aged 1, daughter.  John Chantler's place of birth is Lancaster.  Is that a clue or coincidence?  I've just found young William on the 1881 - he is boarding with a family in Sutton, and gives his name as William Chantler Wakes.  Hmm.
I would be grateful for any thoughts on how to disentangle this, particulary in regard to Ann.   ???
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Wake - a puzzle
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hello suttontrust

Nice story

1841 census gives very little detail here is all it says -
They are living at Malt Kiln Entry in Hodgkinsons Building, Kingston upon Hull
Mary Wake 40 born in County
Ann Wake 4 not born in County
Sarah Wake 2 born in County
Hannah Anderson 55   ind       born in County

Ages over 15 are rounded down to the nearest lower 0 or 5 in the 1841 census

In the 1841 I have found in law was used for stepson or stepdaughter, I haven't come across it in the context we use today but that does not mean it is not.

Marriage 1850, 2nd quarter, Hull,  Mary Jane Wake,  ref  22  350
Could be a possibility.

Regards Oly

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 June 06 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 1841 stuff.  The Mary Jane who married in 1850 turns out to have been born in 1834, so not the same family.
Ellington in Harwich.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 June 06 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Suttontrust, right I am putting my thinking cap on, whilst I am doing that.

William on the 1851 census is Grimshaw not Wake, and I am presuming he is John Grimshaw's father.

Just one throw into the melting pot do we know that Hannah Grimshaw is not Mary Wake??  I will go and search for a marriage of Hannah and John.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 June 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
Whaaa?  I looked at the actual image - did I really misread William as Wake instead of Grimshaw?  It's worse than I thought  :P
So whose daughters are Ann and Susan?  Hannah's by a previous marriage?  I've found Robert on the IGI (if it's him) as son of James and Hannah.  Aha!  But he has brothers John b.1829 and William b.1838.  No sign of Ann who was born c.1836.  And who was Mary?  And is Susan really Sarah?  Help  :-\
Ellington in Harwich.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 June 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
Didn't manage to find a marriage for John and Hannah on Ancestry or IGI.  I don't know whether there is a marriage index for Yorkshire that someone might have?

This truly is a conundrum, a bit similar to one of mine that has me going round in circles!

Have you found out anything about James apart from his death?

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 June 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Kerry.  I realise now that you said that William was Grimshaw on the 51, whereas I found him as Wake on the 61 - that was probably a mistake.  All I know about James Wake is that he was a carpenter.  I can't find him on directories in the 1830s or earlier.  There is a James Wake, but he's a victualler and shipwright.  I've sent for the birth certificate of Sarah Wake in 1839, in hopes that her father is James - if so, it'll be interesting to see who her mother was.
Ellington in Harwich.