Author Topic: Roberts family at Clifton Campville  (Read 3739 times)

Offline msb

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Roberts family at Clifton Campville
« on: Tuesday 10 February 04 12:29 GMT (UK) »
My 3 x great grandfather, Richard Roberts, is described in family papers as a Welsh farmer of Coleshill, butler to Sir Watkin Wynn at Clifton Hall, Atherstone, his country seat. So far I have drawn a complete blank in all the above places.
I have now discovered that one of Richard's younger children, Henry, was christened in Clifton Campville on 2nd January 1803. There is a Clifton Hall in Clifton Campville, could this be the place I am looking for? Does anyone know of a connection with Sir Watkin Wynn (main home in Ruabon, Wales)?
Richard Roberts and his wife Eleanor had at least two older children, Richard junior and Cordelia, whose births I have found in Rock, Worcestershire in 1799 and 1800. There should also be Sarah, who I cannot find, and possibly others. Does anyone have any knowledge of the Roberts family or can anyone suggest how I find any births, marriages or deaths in the Clifton Campville area, or any other information about them? (No luck with StaffordshireBMD)
Cordelia is married in Derbyshire in 1842 and Richard junior (my great, great grandfather) is married in Snarestone, Leicestershire in 1833, but of the others there is no trace!
I'd be so grateful for any help.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Roberts family at Clifton Campville
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 March 04 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Atherstone, is 8 miles S.E. of Tamworth, Staffordshire. There is a Hall - Atherstone Hall.
Clifton Campville is 5 1/2  Miles N.E. of Tamworth, Staffordshire. The Hall is Clifton Hall.
Is it possible that the Halls & Places have got mixed up over the years in the family papers.
Coles Hill eminence, in County and near Flint. (Flintshire Wales)
Coles Hill, eminence, N.W. Herefordshire 2 m N.E. Presteigne.
The above two may be your Welsh connections.
Descriptions taken from Bartholomew Survey Gazetteer 1951.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.