Author Topic: Drumadonald Cemetery, Moneyslane.  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Jarvey50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drumadonald Cemetery, Moneyslane.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your information. Will check in with Presbyterian historical society and post what I find as I know others have inquired also.
And the picture, wonderful.
My Father attended this school up until 1936 approx. Although derelict , I was able to go inside in 2003. The toe tacks are still in a semi circle where the Master would have stood at his lectern. My understanding is that the phrase for toe the line came from this idea of pupils being told to stand around the semi circle.
I have been to the public records office in Belfast ( fantastic resource centre) and tried to find information. It appears the building was lent/ leased to education board. But doesn’t appear to have been maintained since it ceased being a school. The graveyard now maintained by Banbridge council.
I have family still living in the area.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 13:01 GMT (UK) »
PRONI has attendance records for Drumadonald school (File SCH/301) but I don’t know what years they cover.
Elwyn

Offline Jarvey50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes I was able to see information about my Father.
Also read reports from the school inspectors. The masters wife used to come in and teach the girls knitting. The inspectors said this had to stop. Thanks for your input.