Author Topic: Drumadonald Cemetery, Moneyslane.  (Read 3620 times)

Offline HistoryTeam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drumadonald Cemetery, Moneyslane.
« on: Monday 26 June 06 16:49 BST (UK) »
After a couple of site visits I have been unable to locate a Bingham or possibly Campbell grave in the above cemetery. Some headstones are hard to read and there may also be unmarked graves.  My great grandmother Harriet Jane Campbell nee Bingham (d. Dec 1941) her son Alexander (d. Feb 1949) and her daughter Margaret (Maggie) Campbell (a spinster d. March 1955) are all recorded in newspaper obituaries as buried in Drumadonald cemetery.

Banbridge District Council took responsibility for the graveyard in the 1970's but have limited records so have been unable to help.

Can anyone advise if this cemetery was connected to a Church where I could possibly check records? Is it possible to acquire a layout plan of a cemetery? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Drumadonald Cemetery, Moneyslane.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 August 07 19:19 BST (UK) »
Could Banbridge District Council not tell you whether this graveyard was connected to a church?

I agree that the Public Record Office in Belfast is the next place to search for information relating to Campbells and Binghams of Drumgooland. I see that there also a Campbell Bingham Drumgooland on this site.

Christopher

Offline HistoryTeam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 August 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

From reading around a bit I now understand that it may have been a few centuries since there last was a church next the Drumadonald graveyard even though the 20th cent. obituaries I have refer to Drumadonald 'churchyard'.

A couple of phone calls to Banbridge DC offices last year established that although the council took responsibility for the upkeep of the cemetery some 30 yrs or more ago they have no records of burials and had apparently at the time advertised for people to indicate ownership of graves.

The Campbell Bingham Drumgooland entry you refer to is also mine from earlier this year.

Do you have any family connection to Campbell, Bingham, Shannaghan, Drumadonald, Drumgoonland etc?

Thanks.

John

Offline Jarvey50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 21:41 GMT (UK) »
It’s been a while since I have been researching. But have come across the marriage certificate of my gg grandfather, James Priestly.. on irishgenealogy.ie. Sorry dont know how to give the link.
Free site, excellent resource.
He married in 1850 as per copy certificate on the above site 17/4/1850. Group ID3205366.
He married in Drumgooland Meeting house. I wonder if this could be Drumadonald school house.?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Meeting House is a term widely used by Presbyterians to describe their church. It wouldn't be a school.
Elwyn

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 07:20 GMT (UK) »
But have come across the marriage certificate of my gg grandfather, James Priestly.. on irishgenealogy.ie. Sorry dont know how to give the link.
Free site, excellent resource.
He married in 1850 as per copy certificate on the above site 17/4/1850. Group ID3205366.
He married in Drumgooland Meeting house.

Married Margaret Jane Martin. Both residing at Drumadonnell townland.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1850/09383/5398489.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/down/iveagh-upper-lower-half/drumgooland/drumadonnell/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Jarvey50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information and link. Yes that’s him. My gg grandfather.
And interesting that Presbyterians used the term meeting house also.
The school was held in a disused place of worship. There is a little graveyard at the back of the building. Not much bigger than a back garden. Actually trying to find the original owners of building and graveyard.
The local council took over the maintenance of the graveyard as it had been abandoned.
So I am interested in both building and graveyard.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 11:33 GMT (UK) »

So I am interested in both building and graveyard.

Drumgooland Presbyterian has records dating from 1836 so there has been a church in that general location since then. Try the Presbyterian Historical Society in Belfast. They have histories of most congregations and may be able to provide some information about the building.

https://www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com
Elwyn

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 11:38 GMT (UK) »

Here's the Google Satellite image of the graveyard-
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01q4k/

..and the streetview image of the old school and the graveyard entrance-
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01q4l/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo