Author Topic: Photos turning blue or melting  (Read 933 times)

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Photos turning blue or melting
« on: Tuesday 27 June 06 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hello all

Firstly,  my apologies if these problems have been answered already - my searching ability can't uncover it.

I've noticed that a lot of colour photos taken 30-40 years ago are turning blue - varying shades according to the original colours but a definite blue hue.

I also found some photos on which the image appears to have melted - the original colour is there but in splodges and swirls, rather than the picture.

How do I stop either of these things happening? (I realise that the melting might have something to do with living at 12 degrees latitude but we can't move at the moment) 

Is there any way to reverse the damage?

Thank you.

Jojosam

Interested in: Willcock, Tennant, Streeton, Snowden, Simpson, Prestidge,  Quigley, Nixon, Millburne, Mellish, Lawson, Kirkham, Kempster, Katagiri, Janvin/Janvill/Ganvin, Hirano, Hedges, Hart, Eardley, Deverell, Currell, Coles, Cleaver, Brown, Brogden, Bonham, Barron, Bailey, Badcock, Arnold

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photos turning blue or melting
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Much of the discolouration comes from sunlight or strong indoor
lights and once it has occurred there is little one can do other
than try posting them here for possible restoration, repair or
enhancement.

If you have the negatives then of course you can obtain a brand
new print (assuming the neg has been stored well).

The only secure way of maintaining photo's is in a quality album
with good separators, which really needs to be done from the
very first time they are printed.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jojosam,

Saddler is right - the blue "discolouration" is usually a result of the action of light on the photo.  THere are three colours of dyes in most colour photos of that era:  cyan, magenta and yellow.  One or more of these will fade out over time, leaving the other colour/s visible.  In your case, it seems that the magenta and yellow have faded, leaving only the blue.

If you can scan the photos that are affected, it is probably possible to correct the colour balance digitally.  The photo restorers on this board are great and will make them look good again, if it's possible to.
Regarding the splotchy photo, it sounds like it's a result of moisture affecting the emulsion and the dyes.  There isn't any way to reverse this damage, and it has probably destroyed the images anyway.
My suggestion is that for all the photos you have, you get some good quality paper albums or sleeves (not envelopes, as the glue on them will affect the photos) and keep your photos separated in those.  I would not recommend plastic storage containers or sleeves, as you are in the NT and the humidity will make the photos stick to the plastic.

If you go to the NAA website, you can find Archives Advice sheets there about storing photographic materials and family archives.  Here's the main page:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0m2/ 

Give us a yell if  you have any other questions!!

Cheers
Prue

Offline Jojosam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mike and Prue for your swift responses.

I suppose I was expecting the advice that the damage can't be repaired - but I will take on board the advice for storing the photos and hopefully stop any more from going the same way. They were all in

I also want to learn to use the image software that is just sitting on my computer and scanning and restoring my photos is a very good reason. The work on this board gives me something to aspire to.

Thanks again.

Interested in: Willcock, Tennant, Streeton, Snowden, Simpson, Prestidge,  Quigley, Nixon, Millburne, Mellish, Lawson, Kirkham, Kempster, Katagiri, Janvin/Janvill/Ganvin, Hirano, Hedges, Hart, Eardley, Deverell, Currell, Coles, Cleaver, Brown, Brogden, Bonham, Barron, Bailey, Badcock, Arnold

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 00:16 BST (UK) »
Jojosam.

How about you post some of the damaged photo's and let the
restoration group have a go at repairs, if good enough you can
at least store them on a disk.

Scan portraits at 300dpi and distance shots at 600dpi.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton