Author Topic: Price/Wood families of Essex County NJ, names: George, Fred Price, Imogene Wood.  (Read 1806 times)

Offline annizoe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
imogene Wood b. 1840, NJ, married George Price b. 1835 Essex, NJ.  George's mother is listed as Phebe of Springfield (at the time of marriage) and Imogene's parents are listed as Charles Wood, and Jane Wood...

I found the marriage listing of my gggrandmother Imogene A. Wood who Married George W. Price in Newark NJ. Imogene's parents are listed as Charles W and Jane H Wood of Newark NJ on the Dec 1858, marriage listing. I was told the Wood's go pretty far back in NJ but I have yet to find their tree.

George's sons are George jr, Roy and Frederick Mulford Price.  Fred married Kate Ella Miller (Catherie Miller) of Germany and had 10 children...
1. Hazel Price ca. 1896 Union, Union Co., NJ
2. Willard M. Price ca. 1898 Union, Union Co., NJ
3. John W. Price ca. 1900 Union, Union Co., NJ
4. Peter Roy Price 2/6/1902 Union, Union Co., NJ
Oct. 1980 FL 33452
5. Charles W. Price 3/10/1904 Union, Union Co., NJ
May 1968 Deerfield Beach, Broward County, FL
6. James Price 3/10/1904 Union, Union Co., NJ
Dec. 1985 Berkeley Heights, Union Co., NJ
7. Frederick M. Price, Jr. ca. 1907 Union, Union Co., NJ
8. Catherine E. Price ca. 1909 Union, Union Co., NJ
9. Scott Milton Price 9/10/1911 Union, Union Co., NJ
6/30/1990 Middlesex, Middlesex County, NJ
10. Walter Price 12/29/1914 Union, Union Co., NJ
11/13/1989 Piscataway, Middlesex County, NJ

I am told these families go far back in NJ but I can't find much on the net.  Does anyone have any information they'd like to share? Thanks!
Moneypenny, Woolley, Chaperlin, Pappin, Price, Williams, Ford, Francis, Hiltz, Doyle, Donahue, Kelly, Leo, Ciancio, Miller, Wood

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Price/Wood families of Essex County NJ, names: George, Fred Price, Imogene Wood.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi annizoe

What sort of information do you need?
Census for George & Imogen from their marriage onwards?
For each of them in earlier Census with their parents etc?

For example in the 1860 Census NJ, Essex Cty, town of Newark: Imogen and George appear to be living with her parents....have you got any of this data?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline annizoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Price/Wood families of Essex County NJ, names: George, Fred Price, Imogene Wood.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 16:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  I have the marriage listing for gggrandparent's George and Imogene which list her parents as Charles W. and Jane H. Wood (maiden?)of Newark NJ.  George's mother is listed as Phebe Price of Springfield Mass.  I have been told that George's father is Elihu Price b. 1818 and his grandfather is also an Elihu Price b 1780.  I haven't been able to confirm this anywhere and would like to get something to back up this claim.   I also have my ggrandfather Fred M. Price's cert, which lists his parents as George and Imogene-so I KNOW it's them, i just can't go any further back... 

I have seen the 1860 census:
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of
this issue.

I don't know who these other price's are because I thought George's only sibling was Henrietta b 1832 who married a Charles Riley (so I am told).

I can't find Imogene on any census with her parents, thus linking her to Charles W and Jane.  Someone who had done Price research said that Charles was her sibling not parent, but I find it difficult to believe since they are about 20 years apart and they are listed under "parents" on the marriage listing.  I went to Trenton Archives where I got these two certs, but didn't have enough time to thoroughly search wills and deeds.  I did go thru some but none were the right family. 

In a nutshell, I am trying to proove George's parent's names (thru census, deeds/ wills etc...) as well as Imogene's parents and further back.  I'd live to know Phebe's maiden name and also Jane H's maiden name, but archives doen't go beyone 1848.  I was told that both families were old in Newark but I haven't been able to find anything online  whether it is family search, Newark websites or ancestry and freeBMD (i have no ancestry access anymore).

I am also looking for graves and deathdates, and only found a grave for another branch of my family.  It seems that everyone has forgotten where their loved ones are buried...as is usually the case.

I know this is a lot to take in but what I am looking for is death dates on everyone and parentage beyond george and Imogene....thanks for your reply, and i appreciate your interest.  If you can help I would be grateful!

Moneypenny, Woolley, Chaperlin, Pappin, Price, Williams, Ford, Francis, Hiltz, Doyle, Donahue, Kelly, Leo, Ciancio, Miller, Wood

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Annizoe

Thanks for the clarification - so I am taking it that you have:
Imogene & George on all the relevant Censii 1860 > 1930 after their marriage...

I can't find Imogene on any census with her parents, thus linking her to Charles W and Jane
Except - I assume, the 1860 - where the Census goes:
Charles W WOOD, 40, Hatter, b NJ
Jane 44, b NJ
Imogen PRICE 19 b NJ
Laura B 16 b NJ
John D 8 b NJ
George W PRICE 26, Merchant b NJ
Virginia 1/12 (1 month) b NJ

Note that this is how the Census was enumerated -  it does not have either a a surname or a ditto mark in place of a surname, for Jane, Laura, John or Virginia. Ancestry transcription has assumed the surnames to be WOOD for Jane (probably) and PRICE for the others (maybe, maybe not!)

Someone who had done Price research said that Charles was her sibling not parent, but I find it difficult to believe since they are about 20 years apart and they are listed under "parents" on the marriage listing
Actually, in those times, and even in more recent times it would not have been at all unusual to have siblings 20 years apart -  if for eg, the mother started having babies at 16 and continued until she was 46, as has happened in my tree more than once. My gg-gm was being made a granny by her eldest while her youngest was still in nappies! In the case of Imogene I did wonder after having a brief look for her - she is very findable as a married woman, but before that I was getting nothing..........it also wouldn't be unheard of for a person to name as parents on a certificate, the people s/he considered to be parents (those who filled the role) rather than actual birth parents - this will often happen for eg, in the case where a birth-parent has died when a child is young and a step-parent comes onto the scene.

Anyway  ;D - will have a look and see if we can winkle something out for you!

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline annizoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 20:55 BST (UK) »
I appreciate your help since I am still a novce at this type of research.  It looks like the year Charles and Jane were married is the same year that Imogene was born so that also led me to further believe that they are her parents.  I guess i am reluctant to think that Charles is a sibling because it means more research!  I am open though, anything is possible and I am hungry for answers. 

I don't know why Imogene doesn't exist before aged 19...could be any number of reasons, but that doesn't help me any!  I also have no idea where they were buried/Married to research church records.  I see that Rev. J.P. Wolson Minister of Newark NJ is listed for George and Imogene's wedding Dec 30, 1858 and for George's son Fred, it looks like Nelson A. (Macmichol ?) Halsey M.C. church is listed for their Nov 1, 1893 wedding.  Perhaps I will try to find these names for those years...

also family lore is that Frederick's family was wealthy/prominent in Newark and Fred was disowned for marrying Kate Ella Miller (Catherine).  Fred and Catherine only appear together on a 1910 census, he then abandoned his wife and 10 children (Millard, Hazel, Catherine, Jim, Peter, Charles, Scott, Walter-my grandfather, etc...)

Anything will help, I'd love to locate their death dates, or burial places so I can try to find the stones...I live in NJ (for another few weeks) so I have been desperate to find anyting before I move away.  Oh well, genealogy is not a one month (or one year for that matter) hobby!
 :D

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Annizoe

A race against time  ;D
I think Imogen is found pre-marriage, and enumerator has heard her name as "Emma" or her parents called her "Immy or Imma", or she was an "Emma" to begin with and adopted "Imogen"........I've gone thru the Censii from  Imogen's family first  to get a 'base-line' sorted in my head:

1850 - New Jersey State, Essex Cty, Newark (west Ward)
Charles W WOOD 32 Hatter (YOB 1822)
Jane 33
Emma 8
Laura 6
Louisa MINTON 20
(Who is Louisa MINTON - could she be Jane's sister,and therefore Jane's maiden name be MINTON)
(Emma age 8 - is the right age to be Imogen; (ie:Imogen>Imma>Immy>Emma?)
(Laura is probably the same as Laura B in 1860 - age is right)

1860 -  New Jersey State, Essex Cty, Newark
Charles W WOOD, 40, Hatter, b NJ (YOB 1820)
Jane 44, b NJ
Imogen PRICE 19 b NJ
Laura B 16 b NJ
John D 8 b NJ
George W PRICE 26, Merchant b NJ
Virginia 1/12 (1 month) b NJ
(I think Enumerator has listed Charles' and Jane's WOOD children (Imogen, Laura & John) first, regardless that Imogen is married.. Then the non-children - George PRICE and Virginia...)
(Who is Virginia? I think good chance she is dau (firstborn?) of Imogen & George, but she died before 1870 - see remarks on 1900 Census below)
(John D is right age to be the Jno F D WOOD in 1870 with George & Imogen - ie: her brother).

1870 - New Jersey State, Essex Cty, Newark
George W PRICE 34 Clk in Store
Imogen A 28
Jane M 10
George W Jnr 8
Fred'r M 2
Jno F D WOOD 18, appr to Carpenter
(Frederick's middle name is Mulford per your research)

1880  - New Jersey State, Essex Cty, Newark
Head: George W PRICE 45, Dry Goods
Wife: Imogen A 37
Son: George W 17
Son: Frederick M 12
Dau: Maud E or C 9
Son: Roy E 2

1900 - New Jersey State, Essex Cty, Newark
Head: George W PRICE 65, b Nov 1834, Dry goods Merchant, married 40 yrs
Wife: Imogen age 58, b Aug 1841 - birthed 8 children, 4 living. **
Son: Roy: age 19, b Sep 1880*, Furniture Salesman (unmarried)
Dau: Maud age 28, b Jan 1872 (unmarried)
Son: George W age 34, b Aug 1865, Driver (unmarried)
(Middle Son Fred is by now married to Kate?)
(* Roy was listed as  2 in 1880 - unless he was actually 2 months then, not 2 yrs)
(**This supports the fact that baby Virginia in 1860 is Imogen & George's first child and that she died in infancy, as did 3 others, probably all as little ones).

1910 New Jersey State, Essex Cty, Newark
Alms House Institution
Inmate : George W PRICE age 75, while married male, Laborer b USA.
This could be the last sighting of George? Even though stated as married he could be a widower and Imogen has died 1900-1910

Still lookin!

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline annizoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
Yes that is them.  I had been looking for Frederick Millard Price for months until I found the marriage cert which said Mulford.  It is funny how families can really botch things up!

This type of research is not easy. 

I know I have said it before, but I am so grateful you have taken an interest in my genealogy plight.  A brickwall is much easier to scale with two persons rather than one!

Offline annizoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
If I could only find where Charles Wood and Jane married then I could possibly go there to search but I have found nothing on ancestry for Charles Wood between 1817-1850, but I may have a very limited version of ancestry...