Author Topic: Help needed with the Jones family - Resolved  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help needed with the Jones family - Resolved
« on: Tuesday 27 June 06 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am trying to find and also confirm information on the family of my grandmother Bertha Holton nee Jones.

Bertha was born in 1882 in Nottingham, daughter of Alfred John Jones, a tailor, of Velindre Radnorshire and Susannah nee Lawson of Nottingham. She married Ernest Albert Holton, a railway inspector, in Nottingham in 1905 and died in 1935 of cancer shortly after the family relocated to Buxton Derbyshire. She had three children Ernest, Leonard and Harold Wilfred (my father) all now dead.

In the 1891 and 1901 census she is living at 5 Landseer Street Radford.

Bertha's siblings were (all born Nottingham):
Blanche Eliza b1879 d1884
Ruth b1881
Albert b1885 (m Emily Barnes)
Roselia b1885 (m Charles Shaw)
Gwendoline b1888
Llewellyn b1890 (m Elsie Howard)
Janet b1892
Leonard b1895
Wilfred L b1897

I would be very grateful for any information on any part of this family in Nottingham.

Thanks.
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Jones family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Barnford

Your profile does not say where you are. There are several factors that are involved in your query.

1. Information post 1901 is not readily available online.
2. Any information about living persons is not allowed on Rootschat.
3. Information could be available through archives or local studies libraries in Nottingham(for Notts) or Buxton (for Derbys).
4. If you can access the archives/library then look at parish registers (BMDs)/electoral registers/local burial records (probably post 1900)
5. BMDs at registry offices. Look on Ancestry.com for reference.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 06:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you

I am not in the Nottingham area and have tried BMD searches without much success - searching for Jones is, in itself, a mammoth operation.

My hope was that someone who may have married into the family may have some knowledge of the history of the family - I certainly do not want to breach site terms and conditions.

After many months of fruitless research and having exhausted all the easily-accessible sources I was hoping to be able to take a process short cut and go direct via the regional message board. This has worked in other areas of the country for me.

But thank you for your advice.
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Barnford

I do sympathise when you are looking at such a surname as Jones. And welcome to Rootschat. Now I have replied you may not get other replies especially with such a non specific title for your post. If this is the case then I suggest you post the query again. My sister married a Jones so I will check with my brother in law as you never know!

Good luck

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk