Author Topic: Prison Records  (Read 913 times)

Offline erthomas

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Prison Records
« on: Tuesday 27 June 06 23:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about when one of my rellies was in prison.  His name was Leslie Orian Carpenter, born 1900 or 1901, he was sent to prison in Ohio, most likely 1935 or 36.  The charge was 'white slavery' after he tried to cross the state border with a young girl (possibly a prostitute).  Any ideas?

erin
Baggett, Beedon, Boddaugh, Bowman<br />Cain, Cannell, Carpenter, Clague, Cottier, Cowen, Craine, Creer, Cubbon<br />Doyle<br />Hartrick<br />Juke<br />Kaighin<br />McLaughlin, Martin, Moore, Murphy<br />O'Boyle, O'Donnell, Owen(s)<br />Quilliam<br />Radcliffe, Ratzel<br />Semple, Sewell, Shimmin, Snider, Spence, Stevens<br />Taylor, Thomas<br />Walters, Watterson, Wells<br />Younker<br /><br />..............should i continue?  :P

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 02:38 BST (UK) »
On the 1930 Census  of Monroe Co. Ohio there is the following:
Leslie O. Carpenter, 29, married, 23 at 1st marriage, b. Oh, Oh, Oh
                                teacher, public schools
Leata D,       wife, 22, married, 16 at 1st marriage, b. Oh, Oh, Oh
Sarah L          dau,  5
Margaret E    dau,   3
Betty R          dau, 1 7/12

In 1920 he is living with his uncle and family:
Snyder, Charles C, head, 32
             Maggie L , sister, 36
             Eliza E, mother, 71
Carpenter, Leslie O, nephew, 19
Bunting, Elijah M, brother, 52

In 1910 he is with his grandmother:

Eliza Snyder, head
Margaret Snyder, dau
Charles Snyder, son
Carpenter, Orion, grandson
Bunting, McCleden, son

Could this be your Leslie?  Monroe County is in the southeast part of the state and is on the Ohio River.  If he ran away with Leata, they could have easily crossed into either Pennsylvania or West Virginia.  I know WVA has had very liberal marriage laws.  If she wasn't of legal age to marry in Ohio, they may have run off to another state and when they returned, her parents may have prosecuted him.  -----Genealiza

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 03:04 BST (UK) »
I've found the newspaper articles on the incident.  If you'd send me your email via personal message, I'll send the articles.---Genealiza

Offline erthomas

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 June 06 05:36 BST (UK) »
thats the right leslie, i just visited monroe county and marrietta this past weekend :)  i'll send you my email.

erin
Baggett, Beedon, Boddaugh, Bowman<br />Cain, Cannell, Carpenter, Clague, Cottier, Cowen, Craine, Creer, Cubbon<br />Doyle<br />Hartrick<br />Juke<br />Kaighin<br />McLaughlin, Martin, Moore, Murphy<br />O'Boyle, O'Donnell, Owen(s)<br />Quilliam<br />Radcliffe, Ratzel<br />Semple, Sewell, Shimmin, Snider, Spence, Stevens<br />Taylor, Thomas<br />Walters, Watterson, Wells<br />Younker<br /><br />..............should i continue?  :P