Author Topic: Birth Certificates  (Read 3809 times)

Offline DMC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Birth Certificates
« on: Wednesday 28 June 06 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

I know I'm asking alot but I was wondering if anyone would be going to obtain certificates, if someone could check some indexes for me if that is possible.

Unfortunately I am looking for my G.G.Grandfather David Davies birth certificate, but have come up with a number of possibles.  To send for all would be very costly.  I have requested some through an agency but the parents did not match.

His details are as follows:  David Davies born Llanelly 1838.  Father Thomas, mother Elizabeth.
Possible indexes are: June 1838 Crickhowell 26/264, 26/260, 26/273.  These are just a few.

If this is not possible, is there a way I can find this out.  I reside in Australia.

Dianne
Jones, Davies, Harris, Price, Monmouthsire, Breconshire, Glamorgan.
Richards-Swansea,GLAM
Gadd-Jerusalem, TAS, Aus/Helensburgh, Aus

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 July 06 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Dianne
I know of no way of checking the indices other than through the GRO.
The 1841 census was taken on 7th June
Assuming  David`s age of 3 in 1841 as correct this would place his birthdate between 8th June 1837 and 7th June 1838.
He could therefore have been born prior to the commencement of Civil Registration on 1stJuly 1837.
The only three births i can see registered in Quarters covered by that period in Crickhowell district, are the ones in June 1838 quarter you quote in your mail .
If you use the Reference checking facility on the GRO website the total cost  for a check of all three references would be £13 of which you would be refunded £4 if all three certificates were not what you require.

Do not know if you have the following info.  the only recorded marriage between a Thomas Davies and an Elizabeth 1830/1837  in the Llanelly parish records is

Thomas Davies  m Elizabeth Howells 28/11/1836 Llanelly
Both parties resident Llanelly.

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DMC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certificates
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rhys for your time and efforts.

You have made it much clearer that the next step would be to go ahead with the 3 certs. for June  1838 and hopefully he is one of them.

No  I didn't have the info for Thomas & Eliz. marriage.  I haven't established if my Elizabeth is a Howell.  I have only found Thomas and Elizabeth on the census. 

I'm still stuck trying to obtain info on the marriage cert. for David & Rachel Price. 

Thank you again.

Dianne
Jones, Davies, Harris, Price, Monmouthsire, Breconshire, Glamorgan.
Richards-Swansea,GLAM
Gadd-Jerusalem, TAS, Aus/Helensburgh, Aus