Author Topic: Old issues of the Sunday Post  (Read 3101 times)

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
Old issues of the Sunday Post
« on: Wednesday 28 June 06 13:28 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anybody knew of a library that held issues of the Sunday Post? I'm interested in an article that published in 1962 (not sure when in that year so will have to go through the each issue!).

I've sent them an email but thought would check to see if anybody on here knew the answer while waiting for a response!
I've checked the online catalogues of the British Library Newspaper Archive (hold it from 1986) and the National Library of Scotland (hold if from 1966). Checked the website of the council libraries in Dundee as DC Thomson the publisher has strong connections there and they hold copies from the previous year in the archive. I've noticed on the website that the main address to contact them is in Glasgow. Should I give the Mitchell a try? Won't be back in Scotland for a few months but it would be perfect if it were held there.

Many thanks

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
Re: Old issues of the Sunday Post
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 18:09 BST (UK) »
Got an email back from the Sunday Post.

Thought I would post the response incase anybody is interested!They can look up the issues if a time window of a few months from a particular year.   

Copies are held at the Mitchell Library. I'm not sure which dates are held but emailed the Mitchell Library to find out.

Also if you get in touch with the Sunday Post you can look through the manual bound copies in the library at their Glasgow Office if you get in touch with them beforehand notifying them of the dates required.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline TripneyN

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old issues of the Sunday Post
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 09:19 BST (UK) »
I wonder...I don't suppose you were looking for the same article I am, on the origins of the name Tripney? My father remembers, with surprising detail, reading an article in the Sunday Post as a boy about the Tripney name, and how they originated from Holland and came over to Scotland as peat farmers, working in Perth, and spread from there.
Given the age of this post it's little chance i'll get a reply - but here's hoping!