Author Topic: Mary Ann Russell Johnstone (updated 28/5/06)  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Pimms

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Russell Johnstone (updated 28/5/06)
« on: Monday 22 May 06 15:26 BST (UK) »
Information required on Mary Ann Russell Johnstone born Feb 1896 and possibly in Dumfries. The above is my grandmother and married George Threlfall in England. They had four children one of which was my mother called Ina, DoB 3/01/1923. Everything stops at Mary Ann. From early recollections she always said Rabbie Burns was her ancestor. I would like to trace any of her family and would appreciate all help

Offline Pimms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Russell Johnstone (updated 28/5/06)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 06 18:48 BST (UK) »
I think I drawn a  blank somewhere with Mary Ann Russell Johnstone.  No response and very downhearted but maybe I will try Carlisle cos it springs to mind even though 40  years too late, but won't give up. Will thank anyone in advance if they do have any info. :(

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 June 06 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Pimms,

Sorry you've had no luck so far,
Do you have their marriage certificate? or any idea when/where they married?

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 June 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
Looking on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk I can see there were 2 Marion Johnstones born in Scotland in1896. Unfortunately I am out of credits.

You may wish to look yourself
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline Pimms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 June 06 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy.

Mary Ann was married in Manchester in 1921 to George Threlfall. From there I cannot trace any links to her. My memories are of being taken to Dumfries with her to visit relatives but that's  over 50 years ago.  I applied to Dumfries GRO for any info but they could not find her. So it makes me think she could be from Carlisle. I do know that she was born in Feb 29 1896 but cannot locate any records of her.

I do appreciate our response.

Jean :)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 06 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Pimms,

Sorry to ask more questions, but do you have the marriage cert.? I've looked on the GRO index and can't find a marriage for George THRELFALL in 1921 ???

Maybe it's indexed differently :-\

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 June 06 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

There is this Mary JOHNSTON(E) in 1901,

1901  RG13/3754  f.51  p.38  Manchester

26 Appley Street

George JOHNSTON  Head  33  Printer (compositor)  Scotland Dumfries
Janet                    Wife  33                                  "  "      Maxwelltown
Jessie                    Daur   9                                 "  "        Dumfries
John                      Son   7                                "  "    Maxwelltown
Mary A                  Daur   6                                 "  "   Dumfries
Josephine              Daur   3                                 "  "      "  "
George                   Son   1                                 "  "       "  "

I realise this is a long shot :) but with JOHNSTON/Dumfries & Manchester all in one go, I thought you would like to see it, if only to eliminate her.

Daisy

Offline Pimms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 June 06 20:56 BST (UK) »
Daisy, how can I thank you, even if it is a long shot I will give it a go as I am clutching at straws just now. Will let you know how I get on but  fingers crossed, speak to you tomorrow.

Jean x

Offline Pimms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Johnston Dumfries
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 June 06 10:26 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Russell Johnston has been found thanks to tenacity of some people so now it has brought further developments as her father George Johnston appears in 1868 and illegitimate.His mother Ann was a domestic servant and family address looks like 1 Hilton Place. I believe Ann Johnston would have died in Dumfries as didn't go to Manchester in 1901 where George and family are at that time. Huge thanks to everyone..