Author Topic: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE  (Read 6850 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi Fellow Rootschatters!

A kind Rootschatter and I were teamed up and tried to find my Joseph H O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census but could not find him.

Hope someone here could spot him for us--have a better luck than us???

I only know that he was born in New Orleans, Louisiana circa 1870. He usually worked as an engineer but I cannot be certain if he would be one in 1900 Census.

Last census he was in was in 1880 which placed him in Manhattan (New York City) and from 1910 on, in Brooklyn.

It seems that his mother returned to live in New Orleans in 1900--his father may had passed on.
I am not sure if his mother in 1900 Census was my relative.

The surname's spelling varied throughout the censuses due to mistranscriptions by the enumerators.

I would be most grateful to you as it will complete my censuses on my O'Shaughnessy(s).

Ever gratefully yours,

Tees

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Joseph H O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 July 06 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees

Was he married by 1900 - if so what was wife's name/details? Was his age consistent throughout the other census'?

Also might help to provide his parents details, even his siblings, just in case - as it appears you're not sure if either his father had died by 1900 or that his mother had moved back to New orleans?

Have you checked out these database' - you might find his father on the deaths database:
http://www.italiangen.org/databaselist.stm

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 06 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly

Oh, yes--his age was very consistent throughout all the censuses.

He was not married until 1902/3.

Here are the details on his family from 1880 Census:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of
this issue.

This census information was quite a surprise to me because I have his death certificate on him which stated that he was born in California to the same names of stated parents.  Now I understand why all the censuses from 1910 on showed his birthplace to be New Orleans, LA.

I do not know if the details from the 1880 Census would be of any help because of the female siblings??

Hope this will further a better search of him in 1900 Census.

With thanks

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 July 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

I am terribly sorry that the census details were deleted from this posting and I was not aware of this until today.

Moderators, I am going to type the details again. Hope this satisfy you without having to remove the details.

Patrick O'shaunesy born circa 1838 in Ireland Self-Employed
Bridget "               "  Wife born circa 1838 in Ireland
Amelia "                " Daughter born circa 1862 in LA
Emma "                 " Daughter born circa 1865 in NY
Joseph "                " Son born circa 1870 in New Orleans, LA
Laura "                 " Daughter born circa 1871 in New Orleans, LA

All were living in Manhattan. (All typed up by me.)

I left the original spelling of the surname O'Shaughnessy as written on 1880 Census so you can get idea of what it may had been looked on some censuses.

Hope this 1880 information help you in finding my Joseph O'Shaughnessy. He may have a middle name of Henry which was on one census I have on him.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census???
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I feel as if I am writing this post for myself... :)

I would really appreciate any help with finding my missing O'Shaughnessy.

The reason is that I need this census information to clue in as to where my great grandparents may got married in (Manhattan or Brooklyn).

No certificates are recorded for them at the City Archives which points to that they were married in the church.

The kind researcher at the diocese explained to me that I have to know where they were living at the time of their marriage as it will clue in as to where they would be married in the church. Then he will pointed me to a right church that may have a record of their marriage.

I have been working on this angle for many years now since I was in my teens.

I am somewhat at the end of my Wit's end with this missing O'Shaughnessy.

I am crossing my fingers and hope for the any helpful hand.  ;D

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 06 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters!

I managed to find a correct marriage record on my great grandparents O'Shaughnessy. (whew!)

OK-I am wondering if anyone is the expert when it comes to using the specific address in locating the census information.

According to the marriage record, Joseph Shaunasy was living at 49 Emmett Street in Brooklyn. I would like to learn more details about the residents at this address to see if there were any connection between Joseph and the residents.

Also, my great grandmother arrived in the US around 1902. So, she may had not been living at this address previously but it is possible she was staying with her relatives--the address was 19 Liberty Street in Brooklyn. Who were living there?

Hope someone could help me out! I would be most grateful for any help or information you may find.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could anyone kindly HELP me with missing O'Shaughnessy in 1900 Census??? UPDATE
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
49 Emmett Street

ENUMERATION DISTRICT #35 WARD 6

1910 ED 52 Ward 6
Amity
Atlantic Ave
Baltic
Beach 37th
Columbia
Congress
East River
Emmett
Harrison
Hicks
Kane
Pacific
Warren

1900 NY Kings Brooklyn Ward 6

Emmett NOT IN
District 50,or 52

But I do see some of the other streets -- so I assume it is somewhere in Ward 6

District 51 49 Emmett page 4B image 8 of 42
NO JOSEPH

Susan
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 August 06 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan!!

Hope all is well with you!

The information you posted here--sounds very promising for this is very neighbourhood they have their children brought up in.

May I ask whom were living at 49 Emmett Street if you do not mind my asking? This is what I am asking.

Baltic Avenue you mentioned above--it made a lot of sense now because I "read" the death certificate on a Bridget O'Shaughnessy (Joseph's mum) in the Archives. I was not too sure if it was her. Strangely, she was a widow and I was able to find only one Patrick O'Shaughnessy death record--he died in NYC only one year before in a lodging house ( ???) and he was married.

I am certain that they were Joseph's parents--it is such shame that I cannot identify the records positively without any family member as an informant but with early death records--the informant is the doctor only.  :(

Is Liberty Street in same neighbhourhood?

Many, many thanks to you for finding Joseph's family in other censuses because without it, I will never accept the marriage record without knowing who his parents were!  ;D

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 August 06 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

I found Emmett Street using your information.

It had to be a tenement as I read somewhere that it was very poor area at that time.

My Mum remembers visiting her Grandmother O'Shaughnessy in a dark apartment with only cold water. She tried to remember what street it was in 1940s but could not.

She never liked the neighbourhood.

Is Liberty Street in the same ward?

Kind regards

Tees