Author Topic: Help again Finding birth Certificate  (Read 970 times)

Offline Lizrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help again Finding birth Certificate
« on: Sunday 02 July 06 10:00 BST (UK) »
I have tried without any luck to find my GGrandmother Elizabeth Conn birth certificate.On the 1881 census she was 20 years old said  she was born in Greenock (Renfrew Street)
so i worked out she would be born in 1861. I have had many returns on her name but thy are not the right Elizabeth. Every other Elizabeth comes up.I resorted to different year
again no luck. I have paid for more views than hot dinners lol.
Even tried her sister Margaret no luck. My Elizabeths Mum was Margaret Conn Nee Lilly,Dad James Conn.
So why can i not find her. What am i doing wrong?
Any tips as how to search thanks 
Cairns, Daisley, Sharp, Glegg,Sneddon,Conn
Lilly, Howie/ Howe, O'Donnel. Doherty Harkin.Kelly,Granny,Hotchkiss

Offline NellW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help again Finding birth Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 July 06 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizrr

Go to www.familysearch.org and enter James Conn and Margaret Lilly in the parent fields.  You should get the dates for all their children including your Elizabeth born 9 Oct 1859 in Greenock.  You can then use this information (exact year and district) to access the certificates on scotlandspeople without using too many credits.

Hope this helps

Helen

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 July 06 10:42 BST (UK) »
Usung the IGI (www.familysearch.org) method that Nell gave above, it shows that most of this family were registered with the surname spelled as Con. Only the youngest two out of nine are spelled as Conn.

On using ScotlandsPeople, if there are variations of spelling, then the use of wildcards has to be considered. For this case Con* would find the children, plus many more I guess. Assuming the spellings on ScotlandsPeople to be as on the IGI, then use that spelling to reduce the number of wrong results.

The census result for Greenock is more likely to say Renfrewshire than Renfrew Street. On the censuses, the birthplace should be a town, village or area and the county (if in Scotland). The level of detail on a Scottish census form for a birthplace outside of Scotland varies. In most cases it is a country only, but in other cases (good for us) the enumerator has entered a place name too.

ADP

Offline NellW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 July 06 10:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for adding that ADP - I meant to stress that Lizrr should watch the spelling in my last post but managed to miss it out. 

If the wildcard ADP suggests picks up too many hits (e.g. Connelly) you could try Co*n as an alternative (but there are probably other names that would pick up).  It might work out cheapest to look for the family under both Con and Conn separately.

Helen

Offline Lizrr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 06 15:18 BST (UK) »
Thank's to you all i wish i could find out so much as quickly as you have. I seem to have the wrong family in my Census so back i go
to start again. There was no Maiden name for Margaret the Mother (Lilly) so i wrongly thought it was the correct family. Thank you all you are marvelous i am more than slightly stupid at this game.  Liz
Cairns, Daisley, Sharp, Glegg,Sneddon,Conn
Lilly, Howie/ Howe, O'Donnel. Doherty Harkin.Kelly,Granny,Hotchkiss