Author Topic: Townlands of Lower Cumber  (Read 5101 times)

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Townlands of Lower Cumber
« on: Monday 03 July 06 14:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a map which shows where Townlands existed in Lower Cumber and some of the surrounding Parishes?  I have a list of the townlands but would like to see where they were on a map.
Thanks in anticipation.
Maurice

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: Townlands of Lower Cumber
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 21:23 BST (UK) »
Townlandirl

Most of the townlands are indicated on the 1:50,000 OSNI Map, Sheet 7. Crossballycormick hides under the guise of The Cross; Strathall is roughly where The Oaks is shown; Tamnymore is part of the Ervey Wood / Ness Wood area; and Teenaght seems to be way upstream on the Faughan River, perhaps a detached part of the parish.

Of course if you want the boundaries, you will need an old 6-inch map, or a modern 1:10,000.

Hope this helps

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 July 06 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian,
Thanks very much for the info.  That gives me something to work on.  Just as a matter of interest, the reason I would like to confirm where the Townland were/are is that my ancestors (so far) start in Lower Cumber and a few other parishes  nearby.  They are nicely seperated into various Townlands and this helps to tie up loose ends sometimes.  The problem I have now is that a lot of these Townlands seem to have disappeared and the Blacks I find in later years are mainly living in streets which I cannot tie up.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.  Good luck in your work.
Maurice. 

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 06 21:59 BST (UK) »
Maurice

None of the townlands have disappeared - or at least not since they were formalised as administrative areas in the 1830s.

Can you give an example of your problems ?

Adrian

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 July 06 09:36 BST (UK) »
Maurice

The current version of the 1:50,000 is even more helpful than I suggested: both Strathall and Tamnymore are now shown.

Adrian

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 July 06 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian,
Thanks for the further info plus map.  I haven't seen the 1:50,000 map before but as I noticed it was from "Multimap", I will do further searching.  I was very pleased to see the townlands marked.  All the maps I looked at before showed the "Cross" but no more.
An example of why I was looking for the Townlands was that as time went on the "Blacks" were in streets or roads probably due to the expansion of Derry. So I didn't have the clues I had in earlier years as to which "Blacks" I had found.  Years ago I found an unknown Cousin by pot luck.  He lived in Fawney Road. He gave me another Cousin's address which was in Waterside.   If I had have come accross him in the phone book or in a name search, I wouldn't have known if he was one of my tribe.
Thanks for taking the trouble to pass on the info.  If by any chance you contact me again dont worry if I dont answer straight away as I am off the computer for a few days sometimes.  If I come accross any of your names I will let you know
Maurice

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 July 06 19:55 BST (UK) »
Maurice

Now I see what you're after - you want to see the correspondence between townlands (which were formalised in the 1830s, and continue to exist) and roadnames (which were formalised in the 1970s).

I believe you can best see this on OSNI's 1:10,000 maps - I have just checked on their website that if you have an idea already (as I had) you can confirm it with their sample maps.  I was able to conclude that on the map I have posted the yellow road heading northeast below the word Fawney is Fawney Road.

Good enough ?

Adrian

Offline townlandirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian,
Sorry for the delay in answering your message.  My idea is as you mentioned. Although it will still be very hit and miss as to whether I will find any results.
I have registered with OSNI and have looked at the site.  I was a bit lost, as always, trying to work out how to use the site but have got the hang of it. (I think)  What I would have liked was to look into the 6 inch to 1mile maps but couldn't find any info.  I also thought there would be an index to the squares as usually shown on the covers of OS maps.   
I used the Cousin's address in Waterside to practice searching but I haven't got any more addresses at the moment as I haven't noted any addresses in the past, thinking it would be a waste of time.  Now that you have set me up with this information I will have to make notes of all my finds and investigate them all.
Thanks for your info and apologies for taking so long to answer you.
Regards
Maurice.

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 July 06 07:36 BST (UK) »
If you have money to throw away, you can browse and purchase digital copies of the 6-inch maps:
http://www.irishhistoricmaps.ie/historic/

Alternatively try local libraries for free access to whatever they may have.  And I'm sure that local authorities will be equipped with both digital and paper copies of the modern 1:10,000 maps - it would be a question of finding the right contact to let you have access.

Or visit the National Library of Ireland to consult their microfilm copies of 6-inch maps.

And it's well worth joining the subscription website originsnetwork.com, giving access to digital copies of the first-edition 6-inch maps and larger-scale townplans used by the Valuation Office for the Griffith Valuation.

Adrian