Author Topic: Trawlers WW1  (Read 16224 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Trawlers WW1
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 September 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Roy Swales was very prompt in replying to my enquiry; I sent him an email sunday, and got a reply back the same day!! Unfortunately it was negative, and my wife's relative seems to have not been either in the RNR or RNVR certainly as an officer. He may have enlisted as a rating in one of his own trawlers, but like Roy I think that unlikely even though he was noted for his eccentricities.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline philorth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 September 11 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that redroger  I will send an email this weekend and will let you all know how I get on.  hate when there are loose ends that you can't find an answer to.

Offline kerothwell

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 September 11 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Redroger and Philorth,
If you want an extra hand having a look around, all the different web sites for your rellies and you don't mind letting me have what details in relation to those rellies. I will see if I can come up with anything. They will go no further from me and any info I find ,You will receive it post haste. I did find the :- Corientes GY 552 S.T. Mined off Malin Head whilst in Admiralty Service 24/06/1917. Did find this on a site but nothing else which you probably have.Roy Swales will keep every think in mind and if he by any chance comes across something. he will let you know even a year from now.
Best Rehards Ken B
Berry,Greenock,Gourock
Sinclair, Shetland Isles
Hendry, Shetland Isles

Offline philorth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 September 11 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi kerothwell Thanks for that will email Roy Swales and if no success will get in touch.  Will let you know how I get on.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 September 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken; My wife's relative was Frederick MacKrill (various spellings) b 1869 in the Grimsby area. He is shown in the 1881 census as a fish merchant's clerk, his father was the owner of the business. My understanding is that during the 1914-18 war some of the family trawlers were comandeered by the Admiralty for use of war service, and that as a result he was commissioned as a reserve officer. (RNR or RNVR unknown) Roy was unable to find him. Afraid that's all I know, other than that prior to 1914 he married Gertrude Helen Smith Lightfoot and they had 1 daughter Eileen (1914-2005) and three sons.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline philorth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 September 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerothwell.  Had an email back from Mr Swales  and he has managed to solve one of my queries straight off and for a small fee will do the research through Fleet Air Arm Museum to try and solve the other questions.   Thank you for giving me the email address and will let you know how I get on.   

Offline philorth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 September 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
Roy Swales solved all my queries.  He was so quick as well.   Thanks all for all the help.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 September 11 18:24 BST (UK) »
I was impressed by Mr. Swales' committment (replied on sunday!), and his same day prompt attention. However, even the information is not there he can't make it appear.