Author Topic: One for the Moderators...  (Read 2474 times)

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
One for the Moderators...
« on: Monday 03 July 06 21:42 BST (UK) »
Which boards get the most posts? When I look at the boards some get post all day, every day and some don't get any for weeks! Are some areas of the country better at oral history or keeping records so they don't feel the need for 'chatting'? What do you think?
Lewis/Morgan - Carmarthenshire
Jones - Denbighshire
McCormack/McLoughlin - Liverpool
McKenzie - Liverpool/Lanarkshire/ Aus/USA/NZ
Ballantyne - Glasgow, Liverpool
Evans - Merionethshire
Turnell - Northamptonshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Wood - Nova Scotia, Mass, USA
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Griffiths - Glamorgan and Llanelli
Morgan - Llanelly, Pontardulais
Williams - Llanelly
Bryant ,Chesbro - Massachusetts, USA
Petrie - Connecticut, USA
Winters, Tetley,Oulds - Australia

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: One for the Moderators...
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 July 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Liverpool Lass

Not sure I follow entirely, but you can see the statistics for the Rootschat Boards here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=stats

If by "chatting" you mean Rootschatters discussing their research - well, that is what the county boards are for!

Some boards certainly are busier - Carmarthenshire is not one of them, LOL.  Maybe as a consequence of the population living there in the past.  London is very busy for that reason.

As genealogy has become more popular, requests for information have increased but resources have become more widely available.  Record Offices, internet companies and Family History Societies publish information, meaning people can access it themselves, hence no need to travel or ask others to look.

Many factors to consider.

Does this help, at all?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

p.s. I don't think Mods are necessarily  the experts on this - many Rootschatters have decades of experience of searching in archives - far more than me, anyway!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 06:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arranroots. I didn't know that link existed ! I too have noticed the lack of action on the Carmarthenshire boards! Maybe this is one of those areas where they have a good oral tradition and don't feel the need to go rooting anywhere else which in turn means they are not available on sites like this to answer queries etc?? What do other rootschatters think?
Jones - Denbighshire
Evans - Merionethshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Williams - Llanelly

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 17:48 BST (UK) »
Arranroots  Keeps the Glos Board Busy  ;D
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 23:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arranroots. I didn't know that link existed ! I too have noticed the lack of action on the Carmarthenshire boards! Maybe this is one of those areas where they have a good oral tradition and don't feel the need to go rooting anywhere else which in turn means they are not available on sites like this to answer queries etc?? What do other rootschatters think?
Hi Liverpool lass,
I can tell you why I don't post on the Carmarthenshire board that often ( every single one of my own welsh lines go back into Carmarthenshire from Glamorgan. Most of my husband's lines go back there too  ) Actually my above statement can't be quite true as looking at my own stats it's apparently my third most popular board by posts  after the common room and beginners. It's also my most popular board by activity, which is a total suprise to me as I wouldn't have though they were my most popular:

Anyway, I find there is not much point posting my own requests as most of  my brick walls are before census and BMD time.( I think I've only posted two requests, most of my posts in there were answering others - Both my requests went unanswered, one was about Dryslwyn ( it seems to be missing from one of the censuses) and the other was over a year ago  requesting  a look up in 41 I think, which I have found my man now) 
 - Carmarthenshire does not have much printed matter and Cd's  for sale unlike Glamorganshire which is good for compiled data( which is thanks mainly to the Glamorgan society ). The  Carmarthenshire society seems very hopeless to me compared to  the Glamorgan society. Many people ( as I do too) own Glamorganshire Cd's , i.e. marriage cd's, baptism cd's etc etc for the whole of Glamorgan. Carmarthenshire is not that good in this respect to what is available for sale; Hence why you won't get that many answers to some requests.
I think you need to research Carmarthenshire lines in the record office, which is a bit impossible for me as I'm not currently in the Uk to do so.

I used to post in there answering some of the census look up requests as I have some of the Carmarthen censuses on CD, but  I've recently  stopped doing so since ancestry have put all the censuses online as most of the look ups now get answered pretty quickly by others.
I pop in there from  time to time to see if anyone is researching the same people as I am. I  will answer a request  if I think I know the answer to it or can help in anyway, but for things like Baptism and marriage look ups  etc etc before BMD time I can't.

I'm finding Carmarthenshire is a real pain to research if you are not in Wales to research it . The Carmarthen society don't  even seem to want to contribute  their material to most of the  big umbrella sites such as the federation of family history societies online. It is a real pain trying to research my own families in Carmarthenshire. I'm  almost resigned to the fact that I 've gone as far as I can with my own Carmarthen families  until I go home and can get to the archives to research them.

Kind regards  :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. It is frustrating but this site is the best for getting help I've found. There are also some very helpful people around on other sites but replies are slow, probably because less people are available. I live in the UK but haven't yet found time to go to Carmarthenshire! I am hoping to go in August this year so if I can look for anything in particular just PM me.
Jones - Denbighshire
Evans - Merionethshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen
Williams - Llanelly

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Cell,

Actually my above statement can't be quite true as looking at my own stats it's apparently my third most popular board by posts  after the common room and beginners. It's also my most popular board by activity, which is a total suprise to me as I wouldn't have though they were my most popular:

take this statistic with a pinch of salt !!

As an example:
If there are 10 posts on the Carmarthen board and two of them are from you, then that is 20 % of the board, hence your "popularity"

If you have 2 posts on the London board, from 100, then that is only 2 %, so that is not one of your "popular" boards.

(Salty-) Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 July 06 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Liverpool Lass
I noticed a long time ago that on some boards there are/were lots of O replies some months old,.I put that down to there not being anyone on rootschat that lived in or around the area.Or no one that knows anything about the area.OR doesnt have the facilities to help.Dont know if that right or not.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline liverpool lass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 July 06 20:58 BST (UK) »
You are probably right Celia. Why don't we all try to advertise rootschat in these areas on other boards to get people chatting! Any ideas where we could start?
Jones - Denbighshire
Evans - Merionethshire
Jones - Glamorgan
Booth - Aus
Francis - Carmarthen