Author Topic: Finland - grandmother  (Read 1161 times)

Offline katielou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Finland - grandmother
« on: Tuesday 04 July 06 20:41 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Charlotte Christiana Klamon, born Finland c1843.  Klamon is a Russion rather than Finnish name and I suspect that her family left Russia for Finland just prior to her birth.  No record exists of the family's immigration to England, neither can I find a record of her marriage to my great grandfather, Alfred Hoole, which would most certainly have taken place in England.  I have contacted the Genealogist Society of Finland and also the Anglo-Finnish Society in London without success.

Any suggestions as to where to search next or better still does anyone know of this family who lived in Sheffield from c1843 to 1893?  Alfred Hoole was a blade grinder and was born in the Owlerton district of Sheffield.

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Finland - grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 06 13:36 BST (UK) »
I checked Freebmd for that marriage and found a marriage for Alfred Hoole March qtr. 1863  Luton  vol.3b  page 520.  Usually, when you then click on the page no, you can find the other party in the marriage.  But there was no one at all!  However, "Luton" was in italics, so I clicked on that and the following message came up -
 "The page number is not within the range expected for that district. Note that there are a number of possible reasons for this, including an error in the district, the page, the volume, the date or the type of entry".

So I checked then on www.1837online.com, entering Alfred Hoole's name and the date I have shown above, and found the same marriage recorded, but with page no. 620.  I then looked for a marriage for Charlotte Klamen in 1863, but there was nothing.

Why don't you apply for the above marriage certificate, giving both page numbers, "520 or 620".   Maybe Charlotte's surname was impossible to read, or spelt differently, but it seems this would be the marriage you are after.  On the 1871 census Alfred is 29, Charlotte is 28 and children are Emma, 3, and Mary Anne 1.  So an 1863 marriage is probably the one.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finland - grandmother
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 06 15:28 BST (UK) »
Free BMD lists 3 people married Luton Mar Q 1863 with reference 3b 620:

Marriages Mar 1863
DYER    John       
TWIDELL    Ann        
WINGRAVE  Charlotte

Alfred Hoole is presumably the missing bloke.

Could Charlotte Wingrave be Charlotte Klamon?

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk