Author Topic: Macleans - South Uist  (Read 8202 times)

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Macleans - South Uist
« on: Wednesday 05 July 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Living in East Sussex, I rarely get to visit my Scottish roots and wondered if there was anyone perhaps visiting the Outer Hebrides or even South Uist itself, that could possibly help me.

I'm trying to find some details on my Nan, Alexandrina (Ina) Maclean, who was from South Uist, born circa early 1900s. All I know if that her father, was Donald Maclean, and her mother was a MacDonald (christian name unknown).

My Nan later married my granddad, Malcolm Kennedy, when she moved to Skye. Marriage took place approx mid 1920s. My Nan died in 1931, after complications of giving birth to my dad.

If anyone can assist me with my Nan's roots, I would be most grateful.
Kind regards
McVitie

Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: Macleans - South Uist
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 July 06 20:21 BST (UK) »
im going out to south uist and the rest of the outer hebrides this week - what can i lookup for you?
Would be pleased to help
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline iainkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 06 21:32 BST (UK) »
I can't find either the marriage or death on scotlandspeople which should have all the marriages up to 1930 and deaths to 1955. Did she definitely marry in Scotland before 1930? Have you either of these certificates?

Iain Kennedy
Dowanhill
Glasgow

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 06 11:47 BST (UK) »
im going out to south uist and the rest of the outer hebrides this week - what can i lookup for you?
Would be pleased to help
Alison

Hello Alison,

My apologies for delay in getting back to you.
Well I'm really trying to locate any information of my Nan, who was from South Uist (Benbecula I think). She moved to Skye at some point during the early 1920s where she married my Granddad Malcolm. They had 4 children, Mairi, Betty, Jessie and my dad Alexander. She had a few sisters, one of whom was Lizzie (Elizabeth) who married Walter Gordon Orr of Griminish, Benbecula. They had a son Alistair who was killed in Africa in 1940.
So far I've come up blank, and only know her name which I'm sure was Alexandrina (Ida or Ina for. short). Her father was Donald Maclean and her mother was a "Macdonald"
She died in Ardvasar, Sleat, Isle of Skye in 1931 age circa 28 and is buried in an unmarked grave, in Kilmore Cemetery.

Anything you can obtain Alison about her roots on South Uist would be most gratefully received.
Kind regards
McVitie
Kennedys (Skye), MacIntyres (Skye), Macleans (South/North Uist), Macdonalds (Skye/South/North Uist), MacKinnons (Skye), MacInnes (Small Isles), Macraes (Kintail/Harris), Morrisons (Kintail), Buchanans (Skye), Maclures (Skye)

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 July 06 11:57 BST (UK) »
I can't find either the marriage or death on scotlandspeople which should have all the marriages up to 1930 and deaths to 1955. Did she definitely marry in Scotland before 1930? Have you either of these certificates?

Iain Kennedy
Dowanhill
Glasgow

Hello Iain,

Thanks for your response. I haven't the marriage certificate, but am hoping to obtain a copy of her death certificate from my Aunt (her daughter) in Argyllshire.
She definitely married in Scotland, I guess around 1920-1925, as the eldest of the 4 kids was born in 1923 ish (Mairi) on Skye. Not sure if they married on the mainland or Skye, or even South Uist.

I will definitely get back to you if I find out any further details.
Kind regards
McVitie

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 July 06 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hello McVitie,

On scotlandspeople there is -

a birth 1901 for Alex* M*c*Lean (female) in Benbecula
and
a death for Ida Kennedy in 1931 Inverness, All Districts

You can compare the two records to ensure it is the same person.

No luck on any Kennedy/M*c*lean marriages. You could try any Malcolm marriage to see what names crop up as the partner or any m*c*lean marriage.

John

Offline McVitie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 July 06 14:32 BST (UK) »

Hello John

Thank you very much for this info - and certainly fits the dates I've got. Could you tell me if I can obtain a copy of the birth cert on the site? That would certainly be a great addition to the limited documentation I have already.

May thanks again

Kind regards
McVitie

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 July 06 17:10 BST (UK) »
do you still want me to do anything for you when im out there?
Your query seems to have been solved

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline iainkennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 July 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
McVitie, John;

I have already indexed all Malcolm Kennedy marriages on SP and there is nothing even close.

Iain Kennedy