Author Topic: Where are you ? Census Lookup and more ... ELLIS family  (Read 2311 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where are you ? Census Lookup and more ... ELLIS family
« on: Wednesday 05 July 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
Interested in the family of Harriett/Harriette (or other possible spelling) ELLIS (born circa 1846) of Truro. Parents were Samuel (Sam'l) ELLIS and Harriette (last name is unknown). I believe Samuel was born Isle of Guernsey circa 1813 - 1820. The family left England for Canada and then to the USA. Harriett had younger siblings - Harry/George, Polly/Mary, Samuel, Margaret, and Bessie/Elizabeth. Would like to learn birth, marriage and death information for her and her parents. Would also like to know fathers occupation Harriet ELLIS married William John JORY of Truro. Thanks in advance for whatever assistance or sources of information anyone can provide.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you ? Census Lookup and more ... Ellis family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 16:23 BST (UK) »

The 1841 transcript of cornwall is free-to-view at http://freecen.rootsweb.com/

Have you established approximately when they left the UK?

PAuline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 July 06 11:04 BST (UK) »
I've had a good hunt in Cornwall for your family with no success. However, I did find this family which fits for names and ages but not places.
1851 8 William St, St Pancras HO107/1493 folio 608 pg 55-56
Samuel Ellis head mar 32 joiner b. Cornwall, Madron
Hariet wife 33 b. Cornwall, Madron
Samuel son 4 b. Surrey, Lambeth
Harriett Jane dau 3 b. Middlesex, St Pancras
Eliza dau 2 b. Middlesex, St Pancras
Mary Ann dau 3 mths b. Middlesex, St Pancras

birth of Harriett Jane registered St Pancras 3Q 1847 vol I pg 249.The certificate
would give maiden name of mother, but there is a page in the marriage records that has Samuel Ellis and Harriet Trounson Newington 4Q 1843 vol 4 pg 303 and then in 1841
Jennings St, Madron HO107/143/1 14 20
Harriet Trounson 25 (so age between 20 and 25)
in household of William Mitchell

also 1841 Regent Place, Madron HO107/143/3 folio 48 pg 11
John Ellis 59 housebuilder
Jane 50
Robert 27 joiner
Samuel 22 joiner
Thomas 19 carpenter's app(?)
Alfred 14
Ann 12

Hope this helps. I'll see if I can find the Ellis family on a later census to get place of birth for John in case it was him that came from Guernsey. Ellis doesn't seem particularly common in Cornwall but there are quite a few in the Isles of Scilly which would account for being 'born in county' on the 1841 census.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 July 06 16:51 BST (UK) »
can't spot John Ellis as yet on 1851. Looks like John Ellis and Jane Edwards married in Gulval in 1811, Robert was baptised there in 1814 and some of the other children baptised in Madron - Samuel 12/2/1819.

But of course, I might be barking up the totally wrong tree!
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ian.h

• I have turned off all notification of new replies
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 July 06 21:30 BST (UK) »
hi yn9man
could not find any ellis from truro but Ive found a few more ellis from mardon dont no if the info is any use to you.
http://www.hattam.co.uk/familytree/indilist.php?alpha=E&surname_sublist=yes&surname=Ellis

atb ian.h
borlase.cornwall-newport
christoe.cornwall
anstice.bristol-newport
hughes,newport
murphy ireland-newport
cullwick Birmingham-newport
smart -bristol
vaughan- hereford- newport
bennett-bristol-newport

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 July 06 19:19 BST (UK) »
The info I referenced in my first posing was from "family data". No source documents. I found Samuel/ Sam'l and wife Harriet in the 1860 United States census -- County of Hamilton, Cincinnati, Ohio. I also found in the 1870 US census in San Francisco, /California. I have found no data prior that.

You are right in that the names and dates are about the same. Just maybe family information is "in error" again. How unusual to find that fact ......

Thanks for your assistance and I will follow up on your information. Happy researching

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 July 06 19:47 BST (UK) »
Sent off my posting and realized I hadn't included the information about when they left the UK. From the US 1860 census I was able to determine they left in the late 1850s. Sam'l and Harriet's youngest daughter (Elizabeth) is listed as 1 year old and born in Canada. Their next youngest (George) was listed as 5 and born in England.  Even though my math skills are weak I determined sometime in the late 1850s the family left the UK.

yn9man