Author Topic: Sutherland family Caithness 1841 & 1851 census lookup plse  (Read 39748 times)

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Sutherland family Caithness 1841 & 1851 census lookup plse
« on: Friday 07 July 06 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all..Could anyone plse do a lookup for Christina Sutherland born Dunbeath, Caithness, 16 November 1838. Parents William Sutherland & Christina Sutherland formerly Sutherland. On the IGI there is another Christina Sutherland born same date & place but dying younger than my g.grandmother who passed away in Ashburton, New Zealand in 1912. She came to New Zealand in 1867 on the vessel "Lincoln.

A witness at her marriage was a James Sutherland, farmer, Selwyn, NZ. She was married in the home of a Mr Sutherland.

She is a big mystery & I've been trying for over 2yrs to find her siblings & details of her parents.

Thank you so much for anyone who may be able to help our family.
regards, Tiffaney.
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherland family Caithness 1841 & 1851 census lookup plse
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 July 06 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiffaney

You should have a look at the 1841 Census on FreeCen (which as the name implies, is free to search). The 1841 Census for Caithness is now 100% complete (85% transcribed to date on the 1851 Census) at www.freecen.org.uk

In respect of the IGI entry that you refer to, the information has been submitted by a member, it is not an actual extract from the OPRs (Old Parish Registers) and as such, would have to be verified.

Did she marry in NZ? Do you have your Catherine's parents confirmed on her marriage/ death certs in NZ?

Final question! Have you seen the ship's manifest for the 'Lincoln'? Did she travel alone or with family?

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 July 06 06:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Monica, Thank you for your reply to the above query.

I have been unable to find anything concrete on the Caithness 1841 Freecensus re Christina Sutherland b. 1838 or her mother Christina & father William but I will go through both 1841 & 1851 again.

I found Christina on the manifest of passengers arriving on the "Lincoln"  in 1867 which ties in with an entry written about her arriving shortly before her marriage to William McLauchlan on 4 June 1868.  There were no other family mentioned aboard. She was no spring chicken when marrying & occupation was 'cook'.
I gathered her marriage details from Christchurch Public Library.
Death Cert:
No. 921 Folio no. 1912/482 ref: 5-0134079 Christina McLauchlan nee Sutherland/
When & where died: 19 January, 1912 at Lagmhor (son-in-laws)
Sex & age: Female...76yrs.
Name & Surname of father: William Sutherland. farmer
Name & if known, Maiden Surname of mother: Christina Sutherland formerly Sutherland.
Religion: Presbyterian.
Where born: Dunbeath, Caithness.
How long in New Zealand: 44 yrs.
etc.etc.
Signature of informant: J.McLauchlan son of deceased. Waterton.
After going through freecen again what would be best to do next.
regards, Tiffaney
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 July 06 12:11 BST (UK) »
Tiffaney

I'm a bit stuck here too! From FreeCen 1841, I cannot see any Sutherland family groups with a William and Christina (and variants) who have a child Christina in the household. There are some entries where there is a William father but mother's name is different and vice versa (as I'm sure you have found when you have gone throught it).

Were these parents' names also on Christina's NZ marriage cert.? Sometimes, depending on the informant, the information given when reporting deaths can be incorrect (children may not remember the names of their g/parents).

I've had a quick look on Scotlands People, the official Scottish pay to view BMD and Census site. There are no death entries coming up for a female (any first name) Sutherland, other name Sutherland, any age, anywhere in Scotland between 1855-1955. Official Registration began in Scotland in 1855, so it could be that Christina's mother died before this date and no on-line record exists.

In which case, you are back to the censuses. Certainly if the family remained in Caithness, at least in 1841, there is no record of them with those parents' names.  I would open up your birth years for Christina, if she died in 1912 aged 76, then her birth year would be c.1835-36. The IGI submitted entry may just be a little bit of a 'red herring'.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 July 06 23:29 BST (UK) »
Monica Thank you again, especially looking up Scotlands people very generous & for your time.

I will send away for a photocopy of Christina & William's marriage cert. The record I have came from the library & I've heard a photocopy is best. (more detailed). Will take approx. a week.

Have written to Dunbeath Heritage & they are going to look into her for me too.

Back to census's again with your suggestion re birth date 1835-36.
Will keep you informed if I find out more.
In appreciation,
Tiffaney

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 July 06 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, just had another thought there was also another Christina Sutherland, born same date, place & with the same parent's names only she died much younger. (30's)? I can't remember where I found her..most probably IGI..not impossible I know but she doesn't appear to com up on census's either.
Cheers,
Di
ps going to make a tall black coffee before I go potty!!!

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 August 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for my great great grandfather, William Sutherland. I know he was born in Latheron, Caithness, in 1845, and that his parents were Angus Sutherland and Janet Sutherland (née Sutherland). I've looked up the 1851 census on FreeCEN, but I think he must be in the 15% not done. :) I've also paid on ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk and used genesconnected.co.uk but no one seems to have him!

If anyone could look up the 1851 census for me, I'd be most grateful. I'm mainly after his parents' ages in 1851, and whether or not he had siblings.

Thanks. :)
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 September 06 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ostler,

I have been having the same trouble for over 2yrs now. Just hang in there. This is a great site with so many going out of their way to help..I have been absolutely gob smacked by all I have learnt & the generosity of it's members.

Have you tried looking at Oursutherlands.com a new site featuring Sutherlands from Orkney & Caithness. Neil Sutherland ,whose site it is is adding new pages at the mo' but you can still go to the  forum & leave a query.

I am trying to go to more recent deaths & marriages in the hope that I may have a break through. Perhaps you could do the same...you might find siblings that way.

We will get there in the end,  8)

Cheers, Tiffaney

Offline Tiffaney

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 September 06 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ostler,
Just had another thought...why not start a new subject with your names on it. Should get added interest that way.
Cheers,
Tiffaney.