Author Topic: Shiels of Edrom/Chirnside  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shiels of Edrom/Chirnside
« on: Saturday 08 July 06 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I've found a Shiels family in 1841 who I suspect might include my mysterious ancestor, Thomas Shiells. The surname is spelled Shields and the family consists of Alexander, 76, Ag Lab born in county; Janet, 30, Ag Lab born in county, and Thomas, 10, born in county.  Janet could have been anything up to 34 as ages were rounded down in 1841 for adults. The address is Kelloe Bastile. I haven't been able to find anything else about them except that Janet seems to have still been in Edrom in 1851 (alone). If anyone has these people in their tree, or any suggestions as to how I could find out more, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks lots,
Eve

Offline f1rocco

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Shiels of Edrom/Chirnside
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 08 13:52 BST (UK) »
Do you have any other info like where they were born....And everybodys birth  year.....Long shot but seems your Alexander was born around 1765....

There are a few Shiells/Shiels/Shields family ties to this board and Im sure somebody will have something for you....

Right now Im trying to piece my generation together...And Alexanders birth year of 1765 would fit(name doesnt though)...There is also a Thomas(1719-1772) I think he is a brother to my kin......I checked mapquest and it appears at the most my side was 2 hours away and is close as 20 minutes.....Ummm...lol....Thats by car... 
Schiells/Shiells/Shiels/Shields
Berwickshire/Lothian/Edinburgh/
NewCastle/Northumberland/Crichton
Nute/Nisbet/Magoffin/Phillips

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 May 08 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Eve

1871 Census has the following family living in Chirnside, hopefully your man:

Thomas Shiells
aged 40     
born abt 1831
Gamekeeper ~ Edington Mill Millars Cottage

Christina Shiells (wife)
aged 34
born abt 1837

Children:
Margaret Shiells    14
Andrew Shiells        12
Cathrine Shiells    10
Alison Shiells     9
Janet Shiells           7
James Shiells          5
Thomas Shiells         2

Lass x

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 May 08 02:31 BST (UK) »
Following on from that (on the assumption I have the right family) is 1891 census for the family, minus Thomas senior:

1891 Census, Chirnside

Christina Shiells
aged 53
born abt 1838
Head of Family ~ High St House and Shop

Thomas Shiells (son)
aged 22
born abt 1869
Paper Mill Worker ~ High Street House and Shop

William Shiells (son)
aged 20
born abt 1871
Farm Labourer ~ High Street House and Shop

Christina Shiells (daughter)
aged 18
born abt 1873

Elizabeth Shiells (daughter)
aged 15
born abt 1876

Isabella Shiells (daughter)
aged 12
born abt 1879
Scholar

George Shiells (grandson)
aged 5
born abt 1886
Scholar

I thought at first this was a different family, but I don't believe it is - however the fact that further children have been born since the 1871 census, with the last being 12 years old, suggests that Thomas senior was around at least until abt 1879.  Hope this helps.

Lass x

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 January 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I have an isabella Sheil who married Thomas Jenkinson at Fogo Rigg in 1894, daughter of John Sheil and Ellen Redpath from Edington Mains Chirnside.

Any use?

BWA
Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.

Offline Alanbev

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 February 11 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Just registered - so not sure how this works.
I have a Shiel family from Chirnside.
My direct ancestor is Johnston Shiel (female! b 1821). She is the daughter of Thomas (b.1796 in Chirnside)
Her siblings were all born south of the border in Kyloe & Ancroft Rachel 1821, Thomas 1825, Margaret 1826, Mary 1829, Peter 1831, Robert 1835 and William 1837.
Also there were a family of Shiels living at Thornton Mains nr Berwick around 1840 or 50. My Beveridges lived next door.
In 1841 I have Johnston husband Thomas Beveridge (before they married) and his brother living with Esther Shiel in Scremerston. I assume Esther to be Johnston's grandmother and therefore the mother of Thomas - but not yet proven.
I think they later lived in Hetton & Chatton
Does this help?

Alan

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 February 11 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I've had a look at my notes and the only Johnston Shiel/s I have was the daughter of James Shiels and Sidney (female) Johnston. James and Sidney married 11 January 1796 in Chirnside and Johnston was christened 5 July 1812. James and Sidney had three other children that I know of, all born Chirnside: Thomas baptised 9 June 1797 (maybe your chap?); Margaret 1802 and Robert 1810. Johnston seems to be living in Ancroft in 1851 so may well be related to your family, with Thomas 1797 naming his daughter after his sister.

That's pretty much all I have on this lot - they're not connected to me as far as I know so I didn't follow them up any further. Good luck!