Author Topic: 1901 Census - Pegg family from Derby  (Read 4921 times)

Offline Elain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1901 Census - Pegg family from Derby
« on: Sunday 09 July 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to locate any Pegg families on the 1901 census who had a son called William Alfred (my grandfather).   I don't know for sure when he was born possibly c1902 Derby and I haven't been able to find his parents names so far.  Also, whether he had any brothers or sisters.

I have no idea how many Pegg families were around in Derby at that time and if they were all related to one another or they came from another area.

If William was born c1902 then he would not be shown on 1901 census????

I would appreciate if someone could give me 1901 census details of any Pegg family and this might help me make a link to mine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards........Elaine

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census - Pegg family from Derby
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 06 11:46 BST (UK) »
There are 54 Heads of Family named Pegg in Derby - 1901

Do you have his Birth or Marriage Cert ?

If not the latter who and when did he marry - by pinning this down you can obtain the Cert and it should name his father, hopefully alive in the 1901 census ...
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 06 11:51 BST (UK) »
Do you have this ?

William Alfred Pegg
Birth Registration 1902  4Q
Derby 

Volume 7b 
Page 614
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 July 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Just had a quick Scan of 1901 census and there are lots of Pegg Families in Derby.

One interesting family from your point of view is the family of William Pegg of Green St Derby. It's a big family but two of the sons are called William and Alfred.  The older son William is 21. Could it be he married later in 01 and produced your grandfather and named him after his father and Brother?

Very tenuous link to go on but if you can add some more information, there's lots of data in the 1901 census.

Mick
Barker (Staffs & Derby), Horsley (Derbyshire), Pass, (Derbyshire), Chisholm (Derbyshire & Scotland), Denton (Bedfords & Derbyshire), Wileman (Derby), Wood (Derby), Straw (Notts), Rudkin (Leics), McDermott, (Cavan), Lawler (Meath)

Offline Elain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 06 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi NecroMancer

I had a feeling that there might be alot of Peggs from Derby making it a bit more difficult to find my family.

I haven't got a birth or marriage cert for William Alfred yet as I don't know for sure the years of either.   I think that the William Alfred birth record that you found could well be my grandfather.   I will send away for his birth cert which should show his parent's names.  As for his marriage I think looking at my info that he might have got married in 1923 in Derby and I will request cert too.

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.

Regards.............Elaine

Offline Elain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 July 06 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick

I had a feeling that there would be alot of Pegg families in Derby - it seems to be a common name making it not easy to make a link with my family.

I find your information very interesting about William Pegg of Green Street, Derby in the 1901 census.   You could well be right about the marriage and being named after family and it is something to look into.

Unfortunately, until I have his birth or marriage cert I don't have any other info about William Alfred's family apart from his name.

Could you please give me the census info for that family?

It will certainly be worth investigating to see if they are my relations and finding out more about my William Alfred - here's hoping that this family are my relatives that would be brilliant.

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated.

Regards......Elaine

Offline MickMac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 July 06 17:18 BST (UK) »
This is the Pegg Family of Green Street:

16, Green Street, Derby

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

I don't know a Green St in Derby but I know a Green Lane. Given the number of Peggs in Derby in 1901, I would treat this with scepticism and wait until you have some documentry evidence.

This is me speaking as somone who has been on a couple of wild goose chases!  :)

Good luck
Barker (Staffs & Derby), Horsley (Derbyshire), Pass, (Derbyshire), Chisholm (Derbyshire & Scotland), Denton (Bedfords & Derbyshire), Wileman (Derby), Wood (Derby), Straw (Notts), Rudkin (Leics), McDermott, (Cavan), Lawler (Meath)

Offline Elain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 July 06 21:41 BST (UK) »
Mick

Thanks for census info - I agree they might not be any relation to me.

It will be very interesting to see what his parents names are from the certs - at least I will have some proof of William's origins!!!!

As there are alot of Peggs in Derby - this family might not have any link to mine and also I can't presume that these families are related to mine or one another either.      Trust me to have a popular surname - never mind if nothing else it will be fun finding out.

Thank you for your advice and help it gives me something to investigate further.

Regards.....Elaine :)

Offline Elain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 July 06 00:36 BST (UK) »
Mick

I have come across an old Derby map which was given to me without a date.

There is a Green Street which is a side road off Bridge Street and at the other end of Green Street there is a School onto Kedleston Street which joins onto Duffield Road opposite is a Childrens Hospital on Duffield Road.

This area may well have changed since this map and perhaps Green Street no longer exists and the places mentioned aren't there either.

I have also found a Green Lane which is not too far away.  If you know where Green Lane is then maybe you know where I am talking about.

I know this family might not be related to me but it would be good to know if Green Street still exists or not.

Just thought I would let you know - isn't researching fascinating!!!!!

Regards............Elaine