Author Topic: Marriage in Pittsburgh  (Read 849 times)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Marriage in Pittsburgh
« on: Sunday 09 July 06 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

is anyone able to look up a marriage in Pittsburgh between a John Allan and a lady known as Lauretta (surname unknown).  They appear on the 1930 Census, 98 Strathmore in Pittsburgh, Alleghany County, Pennsylvania.

They have two children but I am not sure that they belong to his wife as she is 28 and the children are Annie 15 and Ruth 10.

So I would be looking for births of Annie Allan 1914 - 1916 & Ruth Allan 1919 - 1921 Pittsburgh.

If someone could do a copy of the Census or transcribe it that may possibly help.

John was born in Scotland.

If someone could also look for a possible death of John (middle name Smith) Allan with a birth date of 22/02/1891 in Aberdeen

any help is greatly appreciated, thanks,

Swally

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 06 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Swally

I haven't found a marriage but here is the info from the 1930 census and I have also found them in 1920. You will see that  lots of the info given to the enumerator is different! So maybe someone else, other than the family  gave their details in 1930.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of
this issue.

Hope this helps

Agnes
My family research
Sheridan - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA, Birmingham, England
Finnegan - Ireland, New York, USA
Gilmartin - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA
Cashal -  Ireland, New York, USA
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

My husbands family research
Robinson - Birmingham, England
Turner - Birmingham, England
Beresford - Birmingham, England
Hall - Birmingham, England

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline YvonneR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 06 13:27 BST (UK) »
Swally

Here he is in 1910, boarding with the Brown family!

290 Wade Street
Pittsburgh Ward 19,
Allegheny, Pennsylvania

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of
this issue.

Married with one child living at 1819, Morningside Avenue.
Naturalized citizen
Carpenter
Medium height, medium build, blue eyes and brown hair, not bald.

Best wishes

Agnes
My family research
Sheridan - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA, Birmingham, England
Finnegan - Ireland, New York, USA
Gilmartin - Leitrim, Ireland, New York, USA
Cashal -  Ireland, New York, USA
Donnelly - Ireland
Reilly - Ireland

My husbands family research
Robinson - Birmingham, England
Turner - Birmingham, England
Beresford - Birmingham, England
Hall - Birmingham, England

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 06 16:46 BST (UK) »
Agnes,

thanks for your help on this one, the one who is the butcher is sadly no relation of mine.  I have John sailing to Boston on 7th March 1911 from Liverpool on the SS Ivernia.  He was going to visit a friend Robert Mutch at 521 Patrick Street, Barre, Vermont and gave his contact address back in Scotland as 1 Farquhar Place Aberdeen the address of his mother.

The next sighting I have of him is when his mother Elsie Gordon Allan went to Barre Vermont in 1914, she gave him as point of contact at 38 Long Street, Barre, Vermont.

I have failed to find John on the 1920 Census, I think that this is because he is back in Scotland, his brother Alexander stayed at 18 Jute Street, Aberdeen yet a year later in 1915 the tennant is now a John Allan.  This may well have been because Alexander was away fighting in WW1 and his wife moved to Newmilns in Ayrshire to be with her folks.

I have searched the Commonwealth War Graves and cannot find a John Allan that gives any contact detail for Aberdeen.

John's brother James took his own life in 1935 and in his obituary it mentions his two brothers and one sister in America.  We know that James's sister Jane Ross Burnett was in Barre and we know that Alexander was back in Philadelphia after 1921 after returning from the war.  His two other brothers, Bob ( My Granda) was back in Scotland and his other brother William was staying outside Aberdeen.  So the only obvious conclusion is that John has returned to the U.S.A........unless however this is a total red herring, yet we cannot find his death in Scotland so he must have died abroad.

Please feel free to pitch in with your thoughts,

All the best

Swally