Author Topic: Clockmakers  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Clockmakers
« on: Sunday 09 July 06 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hoping there might be someone out there with an interest in this topic who might be able to give me information on.....

THOMAS WRIGHT clockmaker of DORKING, Surrey.

I've found reference to him on an antique website with a picture of a grandfather clock attributed to him c1720.  I have a connection to him possibly through a son or grandson, JOHN WRIGHT also a clockmaker of Dorking.  I'm trying to find a relationship through John to either the LIFFORD or BRAVERY family.

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clockmakers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 06 16:27 BST (UK) »
West Dean College in Sussex run a course on clocks and clockmakers and train new ones.  I am sure they will have information, or at least be able to tell you where to look.   There is a book on Sussex clockmakers so there may be a Surrey one too.
Our local museum has dealings with a Mike Flannery who is an expert - he has a web site.  www.clockconservation.co.uk
Andrea

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 July 06 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
Thanks for that information.  I'd like to get in touch with Mike as he might have a reference book containing that information, may I introduce myself giving your name?

jane

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 July 06 17:35 BST (UK) »
He won't know me but mention Cuckfield Museum by all means.
Andrea

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 July 06 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrea, will do!

jane

Offline T.R.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 April 24 07:06 BST (UK) »
I see that there is an old post (2006) requesting information about Thomas Wright a clockmaker of Dorking.

I have also been searching for information about a Dorking Clockmaker. 

My search for information has about Peter Ratcliffe.  Peter Ratcliffe of Dorking was cited in ‘Brightwells Militaria Antiques and Fine Art’ auction catalogue as the maker of am 18C mahogany long case clock which was to have been auctioned. 

I have since found that Peter Ratcliffe was apprenticed to the well known Dorking Clockmaker William Risbridger.  My source for that piece o information was  the 'UK Register of duties paid for Apprentices’ Indentures 1759-1761.'

I wonder whether Thomas Wright may have also had an association with William Risbridger.

Incidentally William Risbridger had a business relationship with John Aylward and William married, Elizabeth Aylward at Teddington.   My source for that is the Clocks Magazine 2009 article Aylward and Risbridger).

I hope that this info is not too out of date to help you in your search.

Trevor.
Ratcliffe or Ratcliff (Kingston On Thames, Hampton Wick, Teddington, Dorking), Marshall (Hampton), Cromwell  (Kingston On Thames, Hampton Wick). Netherton (Creed, St Mewan), Nancarrow (Lostwithiel, Lanlivery) Hagelstein (Twyardreath, St Blazey)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 April 24 11:39 BST (UK) »
Worth doing some online searches as there are quite a lot of watch and clock maker reference directories available.

My Wife’s 2xGGF was a clockmaker and we found a lot of detail about him in one of these books.