Author Topic: Appearing on the Same Census Twice  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Simma

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Appearing on the Same Census Twice
« on: Sunday 09 July 06 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if anyone has ever come a across a situation with the same person appearing on the same census twice but in two different places?

I think my great great great grandfather Joseph Appleyard might appear on the 1861 census twice.

In one entry he is living with his family at Rectory Street, Castleford aged 51, and yet in another entry is he listed as being the only person onboard a vessel called the 'Ann' and aged 53.

I should add that Joseph was a waterman/mariner and his wife is called 'Ann'.

Is it possible these two are one and the same?
Swaine - Barnsley/Leeds, Burton - Brotherton/Castleford/Barnsley, Bingham - Barnsley, Ball - Barnsley, Bassett - Market Harborough/Barnsley, Green - Rawcliffe/Whitwood/Castleford, Collins - Bedminster/Barnsley, Smith - Bedminster, Appleyard - Castleford, Woodward - Barnsley, Dover - Barnsley, Frain - Scotland, Robertson - Scotland, Macaulay - Scotland, Milne - Scotland. Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Appearing on the Same Census Twice
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 July 06 20:56 BST (UK) »
I have exactly the same situation.  At home with wife and family and on board ship.    I am sure it happened often.  Even today we tend to put down those who live at the address even if they happen to be off elsewhere.
Andrea

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 July 06 00:29 BST (UK) »
I have two examples of this on the 1851 census. One family included all their married children on their return, although they were not living with them and are recorded separately under their own addresses. I expect they just misunderstood what the enumerator was asking for.

In the other case I am not sure what is going on. A daughter who had left home and set up house with her half first cousin is included, with a baby who does not appear on any records at all, either before or after. There is no trace of the cousins marriage either, so I guess it was a case of family secrets! The daughter and her partner are recorded OK at their own address.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 06 09:17 BST (UK) »
It's quite common to find someone listed twice.  The enumerator was supposed to list only those actually in the household on census night, but families would often give the name of someone who was normally resident there but happened to be elsewhere on the night.  It happened with men who were away working, and children who were staying with grandma etc.  It's confusing, but can sometimes give you useful clues.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 July 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
In 1891 I found that husband's Great Uncle Hugh was down as living at home with his parents but then when I found Hugh's Uncle William Wallace, he was living with him as well.
In 1901  he was at home as well as at Uncle Williams as was his sister Elizabeth.

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>