Author Topic: Unable to find CHESTERMAN after 1881  (Read 798 times)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Unable to find CHESTERMAN after 1881
« on: Monday 10 July 06 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

I need some help finding James Chesterman and family after 1881 please.

This is the last record I have been able to find...then nothing.  :(

RG11/569 Page 40
7 Macks Road Saint Mary Magdalen Bermondsey
James Chesterman Head Marr 25 Carpenter and Builder
Axelina  Wife 23
Emily E Daughter 3 Scholar
Edward J Son 1
Maria Mother W 67 Dressmaker
All born Surrey Bermondsey.

Thankyou,

Margaret :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to find CHESTERMAN after 1881
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Yes, I see what you mean.... bit tricky this one isn't it?  You'd think with a name like Axelina it would be easy to find them, but I've tried all sorts of variations, but come up with nothing.

I found James and Axelina's marriage in 1876 (Apr-May-Jun) in Greenwich.  This gave me James Carod Chesterman marrying Axelina Matthews in Greenwich.

After that I looked for deaths and re-marriages.  A couple of minor possibilities only:
1.  *in_ (as transcribed) Chesterman marrying either William Mellowship or James Nevill in Jan-Feb-Mar 1886 in Bethnal Green.  However the index page gives the name as "Letina", and no children's names matched with surname of Mellowship on the 1891 census.

2. There is a death of a James Chesterman in Greenwich in Oct-Nov-Dec 1881, but his age is transcribed as 78 !!  Unless an error, not your man, but maybe a relative?

I've looked to see if James and Axelina were living with any of their Matthews family, but nothing jumped out.  I've also looked for each of the children and for anyone born in their times in Bermondsey.  I've also played about with wildcards (ie Che*, etc).

I'm sure someone will come up with something I've not thought of or by using better search criteria.

Have you checked whether they emigrated?  Maybe a posting on the London board might prove more fruitful?

Sorry I couldn't be more help,  :'(

Sally

Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to find CHESTERMAN after 1881
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 01:35 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Sally for all the time you've spent with this, I'm really grateful.  :D

I think you have covered most bases regarding trying to find them in England after 1881. I have found Axelina transcribed as Axellina and Angelina making her name very difficult to search.

James Chesterman who died in Greenwich in 1881 may be related, I'll keep the record for future reference.

I have James and Axelina's two marriage certificates. 1875 in Chelsea and the one you found in 1876 in Greenwich, I don't know why they married twice  ??? - possibly eloped the first time. Axelina's mother, Elizabeth nee Lee married my great grandfather William Lea Matthews in 1853 and died in Camberwell in 1889. Her sister, Clarissa married John Mason in 1883, had a family and were still in England in 1901.

William Lea Matthews, a ship's steward, left his family in England, went to New Zealand where he met my then 19 year old great grandmother, Sarah Jane Carey.  They were married in Sydney Australia in 1867.

I feel the Chestermans probably emigrated also and will follow this up. I think they may have taken Maria with them because I can't find any record of her after this time either. Just don't know which country to start with ,I guess they may have gone anywhere! ::)

Thanks again Sally,
Margaret :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx