Author Topic: An Affidavit pre-marriage instead of Banns, 1822 in Somerton Suffolk  (Read 807 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
When at Suffolk Record Office, Bury St. Edmunds, this last week doing a look-up or two for a fellow Rootschatter, I came across a statement made under oath by a John SADLER on 5th October 1822, saying that he was indeed the named person he said he was, that he was the age he was, and that he'd been living at the house of his future father-in-law for the last week; similarly his intended bride, a Mary Anne CLARK had to make the same oath that she was indeed Mary Ann, of lawful age, and had lived at her father's house for 6 years.  John had to say that he knew of no lawful impediment of any former marriage, and the document was signed by their marks in front of a JP, Mr Gilly.
Now, was this a common process in those days - wasn't a posting up and reading of the Banns usually the way that any objections to a marriage taking place was effected?
What might the reasons have been for such a document to have been drawn up, and would it have been Mary Anne's father, John CLARK, who would have wanted to have gone to the trouble (and expense?) of drawing up such a document?
As a postscript, I cannot find any mention of a marriage between the two hopeful participants beyond 1822, on the IGI at least, so perhaps John SADLER's intentions turned out to be hollow ones...
Very best wishes,
Keith

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
Re: An Affidavit pre-marriage instead of Banns, 1822 in Somerton Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

It sounds like an application to marry by license rather than banns, which was sometimes used when one/both of the couple normally resided outside the parish, or wanted a "quick" or more private wedding.

However, seeing as though there was no actual marriage, perhaps circumstances changed even quicker than they thought.    Or perhaps, they thought that the license actually meant they were married!!   :D  :D

Sounds intriguing, anyway....

Sally
Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: An Affidavit pre-marriage instead of Banns, 1822 in Somerton Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 23:13 BST (UK) »
Sally,
Thanks so much for those observations and comments on this document...The archivist at Bury St Edmunds hadn't come across a document like this before; and we also wondered what the term "consaguinity" meant - I later looked it up and it meant descended from the same ancestor, so I suppose the document was checking the couple-to-be weren't too closely related either
Keith