Author Topic: Marriage records, Gelligaer/Merthyr Tydfil  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage records, Gelligaer/Merthyr Tydfil
« on: Monday 10 July 06 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hello once again everybody!

Does anyone out there have access to complete BMD registers for (probably) Gelligaer and (possibly) Merthyr Tydfil to cover the gaps in Free BMD's coverage in the early 1860s? My problem? I am looking for the marriage record of my great-great-grandparents, David THOMAS and Mary RICHARDS, but can't be any more specific about a date of marriage for them than sometime between 1864 and 1870. I had thought I'd pinned down the event via Free BMD to the December quarter of 1868 in Merthyr Tydfil, but the Merthyr registrar has today written to me to advise that the register entries on the page in question are for the marriages of another David THOMAS to a Martha JONES and another Mary RICHARDS to a Joseph WILLIAMS. Any hopes? I would, as usual, be exceedingly grateful for any help.

Mike ??? 
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage records, Gelligaer/Merthyr Tydfil
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike
Free bmd is vitually complete for  in respect of marriages
for the period you are referring to.
 Have a look at their coverage graphs.
I think your only other recourse is to search the complete index which is at present free to all on the following link.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx
There is the following possibility on Free bmd

Merthyr Tydfil December qu 1865
11a 583 Mary Richard - David Thomas

Rhys

Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Rhys

I had actually consulted the BMD coverage charts prior to posting my last message but thought it would be just my luck if the marriage I was looking for fell into one of the small remaining gaps; it's happened before with the Oxfordshire branch of my family in the 1850s. However, I take your point. Thanks, also for your comments about the Dec Q 1865 marriage of Mary Richard and David Thomas; worth looking into, I think. I know she appears to have dropped an "s", but such slips appear to have been relatively commonplace.

Mike  :)   
Thomas (Radnor & Carmarthen), Evans (Radnor, Carmarthen & Monmouth), Jones (Radnor & Brecon), Jenkins (Radnor), Arthur (Radnor), Griffiths (Glamorgan), Richards (Glamorgan), Phelps (Monmouth), Probert (Brecon), Davies (Brecon), Holmes (Monmouth), Hunt (Oxon), Davis (Oxon & Bucks), Ridgeway (Oxon), Church (Bucks), Cordani (Italy).

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think the Glamorgan FHS have a Marriage Index CD for Merthyr, with Bridegroom and Bride's names, are you a member, if so you can ask for a look up from them?
I don't have the CD I'm afraid.
newbie  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mickytom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. No, I'm not a member of the Glamorgan FHS at present but this could warrant further investigation.

M

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 17:05 BST (UK) »
I've found it well worth the joining fee, you can ask for look ups for MI's, census, any of their published material I think which is extensive, Baptism and Burial records,
if you can get to any of the family history fairs, they usually have a stand, (Bracknell they did this year, Wiltshire and Gloucester I think as well) then they have laptops etc and will do look ups there and then!
and you get the excellent newsletter each quarter!
Newbie :)

heres a link to the site
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wlsglfhs/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk