Author Topic: WHAT'S NEXT?  (Read 622 times)

Offline Beatle

• RootsChat Member
  • Dey do dough do dee?
    • View Profile
WHAT'S NEXT?
« on: Wednesday 12 July 06 14:44 BST (UK) »
I'm sure like everyone who live away from the lands of their ancestors and researching their families, the Internet has been an invaluable resource.  :D
But once copies of all necessary censuses and BMD certificates have been obtained, all persons who died in the wars noted, army records, the odd trade directory etc etc. What next?  ???

After years of struggling with letter writing and various levels of helpfulness from record offices and waiting for replies. We've been spoiled with almost instant access to information with many sites providing the duplicate  information. Now there appears to be a void of online information looming, the initial thirst has been quenched so to speak. So what is next to go online? Poll Books, School Admission Registers?

I need more, feed me feed me noooowwww! ;D

Jones/Bangor / Liverpool
Hopley Cliffe Williams Vernon Done / Cheshire
Hill Mounsey Haugh / Cumberland
Postlethwaite Witter / Liverpool

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT'S NEXT?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Access to Archives site -

http://www.a2a.org.uk/

It has some very interesting documents about familes, estates and areas. You might also try finding about the local history of your areas...................... oh lots of stuff is there for the searching.

Then sit back and wait for the 1911  ;D ;D ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DollyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 14:58 BST (UK) »
If theres any point at all to tracing your family tree then the bare facts (who married who, who is whose mother) are only the basic framework. Can you not then use this as a skeleton on which you hang the less obvious things like why did g-g-grandfather move to Yorkshire, why did their children all die before they were 5? This means looking into the social climate at every step of the way. That's what I think the real purpose of genealogy is, not just the who and the when, but the why and the how.

DollyH

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 July 06 15:04 BST (UK) »
You may be surprised what you learn about the area your families come from once you really start researching. Yesterday we travelled over to Anglesey to see my Auntie and my poor brother in law had to sit and listen to all my knowledge (quiet a bit but still very limited) about the various parts of the island and drive there. He now knows so much about Anglesey even though none of his family originates from there lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>