Author Topic: Melmoth or Dewhurst Family  (Read 2323 times)

Offline SamJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Melmoth or Dewhurst Family
« on: Saturday 15 July 06 14:26 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on a William George Dewhurst from Rotherhithe who married Ellen Melmoth in 1860s.
William was born abt 1841, son of Mary and ?
Brinjes Conder Cousell Dewhurst (Rotherhithe) Everett (Egham) Faarup Futcher Hartshorn Jutsum Kearney Lankester Maher Mannix Meayers Melmoth Milner Mounser Northfield Otway Petchy Pike (Shepperton) Purkiss (Suffolk) Ryland Sloughgrove Sparkes Squires Stapley Stiff Stillwell Tyhurst Vigor Wace Walker (Battersea & Scotland) Ware Willis Winch (Egham) Winter (East London)

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: Melmoth or Dewhurst Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 July 06 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi SamJ and welcome to Rootschat
This looks like them in 1871

1871-Battersea
RG10/700-Folio34-Page17
Church Rd

William Dewhurst 29 head b Rotherhithe-Lab/Builder
Ellen      " 28 wife b  "
Ann 4 dau b Battersea
John 1 son b     "
John Barnes 48 Lodger Widow b Slough   Nightwatchman

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SamJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 July 06 16:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I didn't have that year. I have the details going forward, I just don't know who Williams dad was as his mother was a widow by the time I tracked them on the 1851 census. No trace on the 1841 of a married Mary Dewhurst in that area.
 ;)
Brinjes Conder Cousell Dewhurst (Rotherhithe) Everett (Egham) Faarup Futcher Hartshorn Jutsum Kearney Lankester Maher Mannix Meayers Melmoth Milner Mounser Northfield Otway Petchy Pike (Shepperton) Purkiss (Suffolk) Ryland Sloughgrove Sparkes Squires Stapley Stiff Stillwell Tyhurst Vigor Wace Walker (Battersea & Scotland) Ware Willis Winch (Egham) Winter (East London)

Offline Joburg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 06 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Are you sure about the Melmoth surname????
M<arriage on FreeBMD says Ellen Elizabeth Wilmott if they married in 1864.Marriage cert would give you Williams father.

Regards

Joburg
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SamJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 06 15:55 BST (UK) »
I have that cert, and the surname looks like a cross between Melmoth, Wilmoth and Willmott!
I have Ellens daughters cert and it gives Ellens maiden name as Melmoth. Thanks for trying!

Confused!
 :-\

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 06 16:38 BST (UK) »
You have the certificate, and there's no father for William? That might indicate he was illegitimate; can you give the information you have from the 1851 census in full, please?  We can try and find his mother in earlier censuses.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SamJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 06 18:48 BST (UK) »
I have Williams dad as James on the marriage Cert. He was James Dewhurst, Anchor Smith.
I wasn't sure about the certificate because of the womans name, but my cousin says she thinks its the right one.
On the 1851 census William (b 1842) appears with his brother James (b1845) mother Mary A (b 1816) and cousin James Monk (b1808). All give area of birth as Rotherhithe. 
All were living in Rothehithe. I can't find them at all on 1841 census although Mary and James Dewhurst should appear as William was born prob that year.
I can't trace any Marriage between James Dewhurst and any Mary in Surrey either. Help!
 :)