Author Topic: Elizabeth Green  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Green
« on: Sunday 16 July 06 07:00 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone may know something about my g. grandmother, Elizabeth Green, who left England in 1873 and arrived in New Zealand in 1874.  She died in NZ in 1915 and her death certificate shows her birthplace as Wormleighton, Warwickshire, although family members thought she had come from Leamington.

I have no other starting points for her at all as she travelled out alone on the 'Dunfillan', although another passenger, Elizabeth Brindley, was a witness to her marriage to Richard William Jones.

Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks, Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Green
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 06 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Abby

I can see two possibilities for Elizabeth Green born in Wormleighton. One in 1846 who was a servant in Shropshire in 1871 RG10/2806 and another Ann Elizabeth Green b1861 RG10/3219.

Do you know an approximate birth date?

Kind regards
sarah
Manchester - Middleton, Roberts, Bentley, Pieri. North Yorks - Middleton, Robinson, Shepherd, Peacock, Sigsworth. Notts - Wass, Durance, Lowe. Leics - Henton, Debrex (or Deverex or Devereux etc etc!). Middlesex/London - Messenger, Pieri, Roach. Sussex - Messenger. Ireland - Pieri, Collopy

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 06 08:55 BST (UK) »
I'm amazed at how fast you replied - thank you so much - there is a very good chance that it may be the first Elizabeth because Richard had met her before he left England and he came from Shropshire, so here's hoping.  I will follow that up and let you know.

Thanks again,
Abby
Jones - Shropshire & Wales; Green - Warwickshire; Evans & Smith - Bedminster; Joll - Calstock, Cornwall; Harrison; Treliving - Cornwall; Matthews, Bell, Marks - UK; Watt - Edinburgh; Mossman - Canada; Lange & Balck/Balch/Balk - Germany.
All to New Zealand

Offline sarah99

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 06 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Abby

If this the one, I think I found her again in 1861 and 1851 census in wormleighton. Her father was Daniel an Ag Lab. If you want me to transcribe the entries for you let me know. I don't want to go ahead if this turns out to be a red herring!

Kind regards
Sarah
Manchester - Middleton, Roberts, Bentley, Pieri. North Yorks - Middleton, Robinson, Shepherd, Peacock, Sigsworth. Notts - Wass, Durance, Lowe. Leics - Henton, Debrex (or Deverex or Devereux etc etc!). Middlesex/London - Messenger, Pieri, Roach. Sussex - Messenger. Ireland - Pieri, Collopy

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.co.uk

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 06 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you again - it is certainly sounding more likely.  The only question mark is her age - she was 71 when she died 12 Mar 1915, and 29 when they married 7 Feb 1874,  which should have put her birth year at 1844??  The only parental information on the certificate (apart from her being born in Wormleighton) is that her father's surname was Green!

What do you think my chances are of it being the right one?  I have another posting (Shropshire), up for her husband (Richard William Jones) and there is a bit of a question mark with him, because on their marriage cert., I found he was a widower when they married, so I am trying to find out about that first marriage and where he was before he came out to NZ, although as yet I don't have a definite date on his sailing, probably 1872.  I do know Elizabeth and Richard had met before he came out. 

Being Jones makes it more difficult, but while in NZ he was quite particular about listing himself as Richard William, which has helped me a lot. 

This is so interesting and thank you so much,

Abby
All to New Zealand

Offline Abby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 06 23:37 BST (UK) »
Is there any way I can find out whereabouts in Shropshire Elizabeth was in 1871?

Please let me know what is involved in asking you to transcribe information for me as I'm a 'newby'.

Thank you again,

Abby
All to New Zealand