Author Topic: Censuses 1861-1891 Ontario  (Read 1665 times)

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Censuses 1861-1891 Ontario
« on: Monday 17 July 06 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

I am looking for my ancestor Manser John Thorpe (born Sussex, England 1836) who emigrated to Canada on 13 May 1861 on the 'Nova Scotia' with his brother Horace.  They arrived at Springfield, Credit, Canada West. Manser Thorpe was a miller.  On 12 December 1866 Manser married Harriet Jane Sheridan at Streetsville, Peel, Ontario, Canada. Manser died 03 February 1895 in London, Ontario. Harriet died 05 December 1893 also in London, Ontario.  For some reason they don't appear on the LDS transcription of the 1881 census (at least I can't find them).

Can anyone find Manser on any of the censuses or indeed anything else about him?

I shall be very grateful for any information about him.

Kind regards,

Roger
Cheshire, England
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Censuses 1861-1891 Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 July 06 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Here is Manser on the 1871 census in Streetsville.  The just list the heads of household, but I can look at the original next time I am at the library if you'd like.

Manser John Thorpe
Birth Place: England 

Residence District: Peel 
Residence Location: Streetsville 
Ethnic Origin: English 
Religion: Church of England, Anglican 
Microfilm Roll: C-9957 
Page:  1

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 July 06 23:55 BST (UK) »
Do you have the information on their children, Jane Thorpe, Jno Manser Thorpe, Harriet and William?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

I have sent you a PM with details of Manser John's children.

I would love more details from the 1871 census when you next get to the library.

Kind regards,

Roger
Thorpe (East Sussex), Wenham (East Sussex) Willett (East Sussex and Kent) Ades (East Sussex) Rushton (Staffordshire Moorlands) Finney (Staffordshire Moorlands) Wheeldon (Staffordshire Moorlands) Critchlow (Staffordshire Moorlands)

Offline rogerofgoostrey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

Thanks very much for the information on Manser John.  I was unaware that he fought in the American Civil War.

Yes I have seen Jay Glanville's site.  In fact it was his site that got me interested in researching family history because my mother descends from this Thorpe family.

Kind regards

Roger