Author Topic: Marriage John FILER to Mary HASELL  (Read 829 times)

Offline kate*k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage John FILER to Mary HASELL
« on: Wednesday 19 July 06 16:49 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone is able to check the parish register for All Saints Sudbury for me.  I have a marriage from the IGI of John Filer and Mary Hasell on 17 Sept 1776.  I need to know whether John was a widower when he married Mary.

If he was then there may be an earlier marriage to Sarah.  I don't have a date for this but their child, John, was baptised at All Saints, Sudbury on 25 Dec 1776.

Any info about either marriage would be greatly appreciated.

;D Kate

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage John FILER to Mary HASELL
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate

If nobody can help here on RootsChat, it might be worth contacting the volunteer who offer lookups from the Sudbury All Saints Parish Registers at The Suffolk Surnames List.

http://www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk/

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline j.pruce

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage John FILER to Mary HASELL
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate

I have not actually been through the parish registers themselves, but written transcripts held at the SOG in London. I seem to have missed the baptism of John on Christmas day 1776. I have the marriage of John Filer and Mary Hasell as 17th February rather than September as in the IGI. The marriage makes no mention of John being a widower. I have a burial of a Francis Filer on 17th Sept 1778, son of John and Sarah. This burial could be that Francis Filer christened 19th July 1778, son of John and Mary. Perhaps the minister did not write down the mother's name at the time of Christening/burial and the clerk on both occassions mis remembered her name as Sarah?
I have John as most likely that one baptised 23 Jan 1754 at St Gregory son of Francis and Rose. An earlier marriage looks unlikely. I hope to visit the SOG again in November and I'll revisit my work to see if I've missed anything.

Regards
John Pruce