Author Topic: Parish Records  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Parish Records
« on: Friday 29 October 04 08:28 BST (UK) »
This may seem odd to ask since this is the first time I have ever needed to use Parish records personally but can someone tell me what information would be on a parish record dor a marriage in 1880,  or am I wrong to think a marriage would be in parish records?  ???

Ive done my family tree for years but somehow gone a blank on what information is available on these records

I feel soooooo stupid  :P

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 October 04 08:38 BST (UK) »
Not stupid at all! We never know until we come across something.
Yes there will be a parish record in the records of the church at which they were married (assuming you know the church).
From 1837 onwards the info is quite  full and can also be obtained by ordering a certificate using the GRO index reference. It will give name, age and occupation of the couple, plus address at which they married from. Also their father's names and occupation and names of the witnesses and that of officiating priest.
That was off the top of my head - I'm sure someone will say if I've missed something!
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 October 04 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanko

I can only speak for Australia - but it is probably similar in UK - Parish films for the period after civil registration usually contain very similar information that is required for the civil records. The minister would use the church register to provide returns to the civil authority.

Prior to civil registration, parish records can contain very little information - especially pre 1800s. It is often only person A married person B (or banns were called for person A and person B). If one party came from a different Parish, this may be mentioned, and sometimes the Woman's father (and his occupation) are named. Having spent today searching some very old records, I have found some instances where the name of the bride is omitted (e.g. Married John Smith on 20th.)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shanko

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 October 04 09:05 BST (UK) »
Not stupid at all! We never know until we come across something.
Yes there will be a parish record in the records of the church at which they were married (assuming you know the church).
From 1837 onwards the info is quite  full and can also be obtained by ordering a certificate using the GRO index reference. It will give name, age and occupation of the couple, plus address at which they married from. Also their father's names and occupation and names of the witnesses and that of officiating priest.
That was off the top of my head - I'm sure someone will say if I've missed something!

Thanks Heather, I know about the marriage certificates its just the parish records themselves I wasnt sure on.
I also know they were married in Little Horkesley, Essex which is a small place and probably only have one main church there.
Now just have to find some kind person who is in essex near there to do a lookup for me

Thank you for the parish info :)

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 04 10:54 BST (UK) »
You're welcome. What I was actually trying to say (in my early morning pre-caffeine state  ;D ) was that the parish records after 1837 are going to give you pretty much the same info as the certificate you can purchase. Although of course, there is always the possibility of slight differences due to transcription error.
Pre 1837 parish records tend to give much less information as there was no statutory obligation to supply it.
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 October 04 10:56 BST (UK) »
One detail that Heather B missed off is the date (which is so obvious) and if you are lucky, you may get an observation from the parish clerk or priest. There was a classic in our parish registers from 1700s which appears to describe what appeared to be a shotgun wedding with the groom alleging that the only reason he was getting married was the mob at the door of the church who would have lynched him otherwise. Those were the days, eh?

. There is an LDS site on http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle that allows you to search by county and then parish. I've got a lot of good information from that site as it allows you to sift through some rather common names to get to those that are relevant. I've also been able to find a few missing ancestors by widening my search to adjacent parishes. Good luck.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 October 04 13:31 BST (UK) »
I've been using this Site for quite a while now and it's great for tracking down your Rellies.  I saw a posting on one of the Newsgroups that some of the Batch No.s are not included on this site so it might be worth changing the batch number by 1 or 2 numbers up or down for example:  C041701 is the one thats listed, change it to C041702. C041703 or C041699 C041698.  It does'nt work on all of them tho'

---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe