Author Topic: Merchant Navy and WW2 Servicemen  (Read 1807 times)

Offline vik3000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy and WW2 Servicemen
« on: Thursday 20 July 06 21:40 BST (UK) »
A couple of queries here if anyone can help please.

The first is that an ancestor (Edward Ernest Blampied) served in the Merchant Navy between 1882 and 1890, is there any way to trace his service?

Also my grandfather (Adolphe Herpe) served in the Merchant Navy round WW2 time (he was from Guernsey) again where could I go to find information on his service,  I have tried the National Archives but his name does not show up in any records, I suppose it is possible that he served the French MN?

And then onto my great grandfather (Adolphe Herpe born France, lived Guernsey), he definately served with the 18th Regiment of Hussars for France WW1.  He survived but again where would I be able to find any records?

OK so thats 3 queries, but I'm searching to no avail at the moment.  I know y'all too be bright sparks and have many a time come up trumps, so heres handing over to you and hoping you can point me in the right way.

Many thanks

Vicky

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy and WW2 Servicemen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've had a quick look for your g-grandfather, 18th Hussars WW1. If he served in the British army in France in WW1, he should definitely have a Medal Index Card but I can't find one in his name.

Could he have gone by a different name at all? Or a different spelling?
Have you come across variant spellings?
Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline vik3000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy and WW2 Servicemen
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 06 20:29 BST (UK) »
HI Neil

Thanks for the reply and the look-up.  I;m not to sure that I explained myself to well on my original message.

My great grandfather was Adolphe Yves Herpe born 1880 Paimpol Cotes du Nord France and he joined the 18th Regiment de Houssards .  He lived in St Peter Port Guernsey and remained a French subject, he definately served for the French Hussars. (I have sign up and release notes).  He signed up in Jersey and I think the regiment must have been based in St Brieuc.  I have a date of 19/8/1914.
Sadly my french isn't up to much and I am going a bit slow on the translations.

Vicky