Author Topic: Ancestral brushes with the rich or famous  (Read 31172 times)

Offline VincyBabe

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral brushes with the rich or famous
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 03:44 BST (UK) »
According to the Anti-Slavery Reporter for 1863, James Clement Choppin , who was attorney general of St Vincent in 1862 had a brother who was accused of murdering a labourer named John Hercules of Argyle Estate on October 4, 1862 during some riots. To the memory of Hercules, I must say that according to the report, he was working at the time and was not rioting. I'm trying to find out the name of this Choppin who was accused. Whether he was brought to justice, I don't know, but chances are he didn't spend one day in jail.

I don't know how all the Choppins are connected in St Vincent, but I'm sure they were in one way or another. On my family tree, there is a Caroline Elizabeth Choppin (my 2nd great grand-aunt) who had a sister named Kay. I don't know who their father was but their mother's first name was Jessie. Caroline (1857-1923), was married to a shipwright named Joseph Burns Bonadie.

I came across this passage a few years ago:
"Joseph & his wife lived in reasonably comfortable circumstances purely by dint of their united industry and hard work, for while the shipwright was building and repairing vessels, his wife Elizabeth, as a fruit and vegetable vendor, supplied with necessary stores many of the ships that called in the port of Kingstown. They worked hard from Monday to Saturday and on Sunday they found themselves in St George's Cathedral for divine worship. They were both very devoted members of the Anglican church."
Source: Pioneers in Nation-Building in a Caribbean Mini-State by Sir Rupert John, pg 101

I have many Choppin names in my database who were from St Vincent. Birth, death, and marriage records from St George's Cathedral.

Any assistance in finding out more about these people would be appreciated.

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
Have found a newspaper reference to the "trial" run of the "RMS Olympic", which states that along with Captain Smith and Mr B Ismay, a certain Christopher Tatham was also aboard for the event.

He's more than likely related, somehow, ... but I haven't nutted out how, as yet!  The only thing I do know is that he wasn't my gt-grandfather.  Gt Grandad was already in Australia by that stage (1910-ish).  :-\
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors accompanied King John to Runnymede where he was one of the 25 witnesses to the signing of the Magna Carta.

My daughter saw Jude Law at her son's sports day, and Brad Pitt was staying in the next hotel to us when we were in Falmouth recently.   When I was 14 I had a boyfriend who became a famous TV producer.   ;D ;D

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
I'm getting some fantastic insight on the Europe board from carinthiangirl. (TX for that if you're watching this thread.  :))

I may be related to a knight named von Balbronn-Mittelhausen that wore a 1580s prosthetic hand. Check it out in this link.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7161

That must make me famous, ....... right?  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline BashLad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
A ggg great uncle was the house steward of Earl Spencer.

Some of my ancestors baptisms were performed by Patrick Bronte. Well, he signed the register at least.

Some cousin of one of my ancestors married one of the local mill owners and they left an estate worth a ridiculous amount of money - none of which came our way!  :( ;D
WHITEHOUSE- Bromsgrove, WANE - Eccleston, TOWERS - Blackburn & Ribble Valley, COLLINGE - Rawtenstall, THOMAS - Penzance, Whitehaven, Haslingden.

Offline Pebbles Kernow

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 20:12 BST (UK) »
Mine's more on the infamous line.

My grandfather was an estate manager for Oswald Mosley and my great-uncle bought a couple of farms from him.
Dad lived on Mosley land for a while as a child, but can't remember it.

Less infamous: Granddad was also estate manager for Lord Iliffe of Yatterdon.

It was a pity he died before I was born, as I'm sure he had many an interesting tale to tell.

Pebs

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
On the other side of the pond (and the other side of the law), the story is that my grandfather hung out with the gangster famous for the St. Valentine's Day massacre, Al Capone. Apparently, grandpa supplied liquor to him from the Canadian side of the border during US prohibition.
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline VincyBabe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 01 September 11 01:17 BST (UK) »
do know anything more about J C Choppins? his parents and his descendants? I'm investigating about his brother who was accused of murder in St Vincent in 1862.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 14:01 GMT (UK) »
When my mum was a teacher there was a girl in her class who used to go out with Paul Gadd.

Maybe the girl was wise to break off the relationship - Paul Gadd is better known as Gary Glitter!
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk