Author Topic: Need help from someone in Ballyjamesduff area - COMPLETED  (Read 7310 times)

Offline patca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help from someone in Ballyjamesduff area - COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 26 July 06 01:17 BST (UK) »
I recently returned from a 12 day trip to beautiful Ireland.  With the help of Helen at the National Archives I was able to find my grandfather's birth record along with 4 brothers.  Unfortunately 4 of the births including my grandfather's were listed as Male only.  I have the birthdates, parents names, etc.  The parents lived in Graddum and were married in the Presbyterian Church in Balleyjamesduff.  I was told that the baptism records would give me the names. Unfortunately by the time I got this information it was time to leave Ireland.   I have looked on the Presbyterian Church website and I can't find a church in Balleyjamesduff.  Is there still a church there?  How can I obtain these records? Any help at all would be appreciated.   Pat
Johnston, Wilson, Vincent, Clarke, Baley

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Need help from someone in Ballyjamesduff area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hiya Pat,

Well at least we know there was a congregation in Ballyjamesduff in 1980. The question that now needs to be answered is does the congregation still exist or did it amalgamate with another one in the area. I have a friend from Co. Cavan who works in London. She goes home a couple of times a year and may be able to answer or get an answer to the question.

Langtry, Gerard, The Presbyterian Church and congregation of Ballyjamesduff 1721 - 1980
([Ballyjamesduff : s.n., 1984).

Best Wishes, Chris

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 20:39 BST (UK) »
Pat, I live close to BJD, and could do some enquiries for you, Where is Graddum ?, . There is listed in the Yellow Pages :- The Presbyterian Church in Ireland, 15 Hillside Dr., Nass, tel. 045 898522, maybe if you contact them they could help in your search. I will do my usual thing and ask in the local bar, i'm sure someone will have news re the church in BJD,. Regards bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Not sure if im right or not but i think that Ballyjamesduff Presbyterian church amalgimated with Bellasis Presbyterian Church, Virginia road Ballyjamesduff.

Presbyterian Churches
Cavan
Bellasis
Drumkeeran
Croaghan   
Carrigallen

Contact Rev G. Jean Mackarel

The Presbyterian Manse, 15 Farnham Street, Cavan Town
County Cavan
Tel: 049 4332242

email: jmackarel at presbyterianireland.org

I left out the @ in the email address so he wont get spam.

Good luck

Colette

Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline patca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bodger & Collette,
On the Discovery Series map that I purchased in Ireland, Graddum is located northeast of Kilnaleck and northwest of Ballyjamesduff.  There is a lake there - Graddum Lough  Nearby townlands are  Corbeagh, Lechary and Latnadronagh.  The family name is Johnston.
I found a website for the Presbyterian Church in Ireland and I am going to email them to see if they have the information.  Thanks again.  I appreciate any help that is given.    Pat

Offline patca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 06 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colette, I received an email back from Jean Mackerel who is willing to help me find the baptism records for my relatives from Graddum when she has time.  She told me that there is no church in Ballyjamesduff now, but she ministers to the people who still live in the area.  I hope to find out the names shortly.  I appreciate your assistance.  Pat

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 September 06 17:33 BST (UK) »
 ;D Thats great news pat. Oh im all Chuffed now  :D

Good luck and keep me posted.

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline J Kent

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 10 02:14 BST (UK) »
Pat, I live close to BJD, and could do some enquiries for you, Where is Graddum ?, . There is listed in the Yellow Pages :- The Presbyterian Church in Ireland, 15 Hillside Dr., Nass, tel. 045 898522, maybe if you contact them they could help in your search. I will do my usual thing and ask in the local bar, i'm sure someone will have news re the church in BJD,. Regards bodger

=====
Hi Bodger,
This isn't relevent to The above message but my Armstrong family came from Ballyjamesduff.  Some family came to Australia in early to mid 1860's.

Can you tell me if there is a Family History centre in Ballyjamesduff,  or if there are any Armstrong's living in the area now.

William Armstrong married Margaret McGill about 1840.  There is a story that the Armstrong's had the Post office for some generations. It is presumed that it is in that area but we don't really know.

I couldn't see how to email you privately