Author Topic: St Briavels Gloucester or Monmouth census?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
St Briavels Gloucester or Monmouth census?
« on: Saturday 30 October 04 10:39 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me county St Briavels comes under for census returns?

Looking for an Edward and Harriet Aston with children born 1850's

Edward and Harriet married 1851 and I have Edward on the 1851 census which came under Gloucestershire.

Any later census info or where to find parish records etc.would be great.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Briavels Gloucester or Monmouth census?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 04 19:51 BST (UK) »
I would say Gloucestershire

See this link for help:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cbennett/stbriavels1876.htm

Or Genuki to see where St Briavels is located:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/GLS/SaintBriavels/index.html

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 04 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks, this family is causing a real headache, they dont seem to be on the Goucestershire 1871 census and therefore the question. I know they were in St Briavels early 1870's.

A little more head banging I guess!!

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 04 20:45 BST (UK) »
I have the same problem with my ancestors in the 1881 census, they were in a workhouse intermitantly between 1879 - 1885 but no where to be found in the census!

You could be unlucky and they were not enumerated at all, it did happen!, I do hope you find them though.
If you are in the region maybe you will be able to find them in the voters lists, if these lists still survive for this region ( I am more in the know with Glamorganshire) You could email Gloucestershire County County Reference Library to ask where these are housed:
(NB: gloucester. is included in the email address, email link not in full below)

gloucester.reference@gloucestershire.gov.uk

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1359

I hope this helps.  :D

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 October 04 22:19 BST (UK) »
hi
I will try that, thanks.
Nicky

Offline Ladkyis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Still searching for those darned actors
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 04 00:42 GMT (UK) »
The correct answer to the question is both, it is right on the border between the two counties and while the village - ie the little cluster of houses around the castle - is in Gloucestershire if you went anywhere west of the castle then you were in Monmouthshire. I believe that St Briavels came under the Chepstow union for the poor law so the best bet is to look at records for both sides of the border - sorry about that
Ann :-[
GIBBON, MCDADE, BRIDGER, GUILFOYLE, MACEY, JOHNSON, BELLEW, NATHAN, GEORGE, CLARKE.