Author Topic: help with 1914-1918 Great War  (Read 1791 times)

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: help with 1914-1918 Great War
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 July 06 09:59 BST (UK) »

no, he wasn't, but that was a good idea (i hadn't checked)

unless Denise can come up with some further information i can't think of a way forward

if he did served in F&F, then he is entitled to medals, three of us can't find him as a manc, perhaps he joined the manchester pals, dropped out possibly because he was below height standard ( hence the bantam reference) but then was allowed to re-join another regiment when the height standard was lowered

there is a Robert Wall in the Lancs Fusiliers

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0og/ 

any one else got any good ideas?

Offline Denise4480

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 July 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Many thanks for all your searches, I have just spoken to my Dad and he really does not know much as it was only what his dad had told him, that he was either in the Manchesters or Bantams (he can't remember), but he was a really small man and not very tall at all, and as you say he may not have made the height, he does remember him saying something about the battle of Passendale (excuse the spelling) not sure what this is.

Once again thanks,
Denise

Wall - Wednesbury, West Bromwich, Droylsden&Audenshaw

Pickin - St Giles, willenhall
Airey & Gate - Cumberland & Westmorland
Dumville - Mobberley Cheshire, Droylsden(Manchester)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 July 06 12:24 BST (UK) »
The 3rd Battle of Ypres, or more commonly known as Passchendaele was fought between the  July and November of 1917. The BEF suffered badly having some 310,000 casualties whilst the Germans suffered 260,000 casualities. The soldiers in the trenches had to over come their own feelings as well as the bad weather that led to the mud that would bog them down whilst following Haig's over stretched plan's.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop