Author Topic: Thomas Donaldson  (Read 3246 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Donaldson
« on: Friday 28 July 06 01:21 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a Thomas Donaldson married to Joannah or Johannah Harper.  The family were all involved in the shipbuilding industry 1851-1880 Census.  Thomas was born in Scotland and I am trying to locate where.  In this line...the names Archibald and Joannah were carried down.

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Donaldson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 06 00:13 BST (UK) »
clazey,
Sharon,

Are you sure that Thomas Donaldson who married Johannah Harper in Sunderland in 1853, was born in Scotland. ?

C1861 has him born in Southwick(Sunderland)
C71 = Newcastle, C81= Gateshead, C91 =Newcastle
C1901 = Newcastle.

Newcastle wins 3-2.

Archibald  H Donaldson, son of Thomas/Johannah, was born in Scotland (as per 1881 census)

Archibald Harper, born Newburn was Johannah's father.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 06 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Alternatively, you would be better off by going to the Scotlandspeople website and locating their son's birth record.

It contains a lot of information than English/Wales birth certificate.

This way you can find out where/when they were married as it is recorded on their son's birth record.

Then you can determine whether you are on a correct track or not.

Cheers

Tees

PS The website is: www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 06 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  Archibald H. Donaldson would be my great-great grandfather.  His daughter, Mary Ann was my great-grandmother.  I have been trying to track down this line as Mary died when her son, Archibald Donaldson Clazey, was 14. (my grandfather).  He never spoke of her except to say she died when he was young...and until just 5 years ago, none of us knew what she looked like.  I managed to locate a son of Arch's brother who had a picture of her.  Mary came from a large family and I keep hoping someone from that line is also researching!  Mary died in 1918 in New York City where the family had immigrated to...she had a brother, also Archibald H. Donaldson who also moved to the US and I lose him after the 1930 US Census.

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 06 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you a death certificate on Mary? I will be at the Archives tomorrow-perhaps I could locate hers for you.

Do drop a line to let me know if you desire one.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 06 18:23 BST (UK) »
Mary A Donaldson Clazey died in New York State, USA on March 16, 1918.  They were living on Staten Island at the time of her death.  I found it...after years of searching on the online death index which is new. I would love to have the certificate and will forward whatever funds are necessary.  I have always suspected that she died of influenza... thank you...

sharon

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 06 20:58 BST (UK) »
On the free bmd, I found the marriage of Thomas Donaldson and Joannah Harper in September Quarter 1853.  So..I ordered the certificate.  It will probably raise more questions but at least some questions will be answered.

Sharon

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Apparently, I am too late to tell you that you ought to wait for the death certificate on your Mary as our death certificate contains the information on her parents and their birthplaces.

And who was her husband as well!

Since you stated that your Archibald was in the US, it is possible to get his naturalization papers to find out his birth date and birthplace.

Many of our documents contains wealth of information not seen on England/Wales certificates. It all depends on what year we are looking at. :)

Kind regards

Tees

PS Will do a look up on the death record for you tomorrow.

PPS I have seen a Archibald H Donaldson's birth entry on Scotlandspeople, apparently, it was not yours. I think he was registered without a middle name but too many of them.  ???

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 06 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Wondering if your Grandad was born here or in the UK?

Also, I could not find your Mary in the 1910 US Census under the surname of Donaldson or Clazey.

I just wanted to see if her husband was naturalised or not.

Kind regards

Tees