Author Topic: Making new contacts  (Read 8449 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Making new contacts
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Like you, halfasheep, I'm finding GR a complete waste of time. 

One would expect corresponding through GR would make the whole business of exchanging details, however small, easier but for some reason people either can't be bothered or more selfishly perhaps they've decided that the contents communicated don't add to already established facts, (usually obtained from others!), and so ignore that contact all the time waiting for a bigger catch to appear with a juicy tit-bit they haven't got and reel them in accordingly.

I've laughed endlessly at some of the terse replies I've received other the years such as "Yes I'm descended from him too" with no other explanation or information.

But for every negative story I am sure there are those who can testify to finding a "perfact contact" who sends masses of information without strings attached.  Wish they'd send some my way . . .

Jayson  ;)

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm always happy to provide my info in the misguided hope that some will come my way - only once I struck lucky with my Irish Whitty family - there is a ''clan'' website, and on the off-chance I e-mailed what little I knew in the hope that they may have at the very least a birth record.

Turns out the person who runs the site is good friends with some unknown cousins of mine, passed my details on, and a massive exchange of info (as well as a few holidays together!) has come to pass.

Very, very rare exception - however, I can wholeheartedly say I've had tremendous luck with Rootschat, whether it's locating people who are related to in-laws, or just good people who are prepared to help out for no reason other than they can
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 13:45 GMT (UK) »
It goes to show that for one positive experience there are ten bad ones or perhaps more! But with regard to Rootschat, I couldn't agree with you more.  Although I would say that perhaps some on RC have a tendency to take the subject a bit too seriously!

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Oh definately, but if they didn't I'd never have some of the connections that I do  ;D
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this, I've decided just to give him my work address.  I'm sure he is genuine and probably a really nice guy.  The reason I hesitated is because I live on my own and I am ex directory so maybe being too cautious.  I may send him a Christmas card with my home address, see how things go as it's only been a few days we've been in touch rather than weeks!
ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure he isn't an axe murderer, Sharon.  ;D Joking aside, please don't be in too much of a rush with giving personal information.

Jayson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I've been in touch with lots of 2nd, 3rd and 4th cousins I found on GR and got lots of info and photos from them.  I've only met one though, as I had no reason to go to the area where most of the others live.

Have to say, most of them were quite happy to believe, as I did, that we were genuine.  The one I've met was much more cautious as she had had a bad experience with GR.  We e-mailed for quite some time, me giving her snippets of info and she throwing names my way to see if I recognised them.  Once she was happy that I was connected to her family, her g.gran is my g.aunt, she was happy to give me her address and she, too, has sent me loads of photos that her father had. 

Lizzie

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Well, I've had a great time on GR.  As an only child of only-child parents, I didn't have much idea of relations - lots of people I called Aunt and Uncle, but they weren't actually related (1950's protocol of calling adult friends of parents A & U).  I've now made contact with and met cousins from three of my four lines, and all through GR and who I would never have met otherwise.  However, I don't open my tree to people - there's not a lot of information on it anyway.  I always contact first via GR and then by e-mail.  And, I've been to South Africa as a result of GR, plus I'm off to Australia next year and have the offer of accommodation from a distant relative, again met via GR.  So I don't knock it, only the Hot Matches which usually aren't  ;D

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure he isn't an axe murderer, Sharon.  ;D Joking aside, please don't be in too much of a rush with giving personal information.

Jayson

Hope not!  But there again I have already found a murderer in the family so is it possible to have two?!!!
ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith