Author Topic: WW2 Canadian soldier ???  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
WW2 Canadian soldier ???
« on: Tuesday 01 August 06 23:26 BST (UK) »
I have these two photos ... (possibly the same man)... is this a Canadian uniform ?  And if so, army, air force ... what ? 
I have no idea who these men are, but knowing what the uniform is might help to identify these photos sent to me from Canada as possible English relatives (they aren't !)
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Canadian soldier ???
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydart,

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the second picture looks like a fellow in WWI?  Seems to have the same uniform as my gr-grandfather?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 05:02 BST (UK) »

Hi Lydart !

This site may give you some ideas ... check through it - something may ring a bell ... old family stories - things you saw in you childhood etc !! the second man is WW1 as Karen said .... I'm not sure if they are both the same man ...... my opinion is .. they are not !  ::) ::)

http://www.militarybadges.info/canada/

Annie
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydart.
Could be a man,of whom there were a few,who served in both War's.
Photo No1 look's like Air Force,and 'summer uniform'No 2,younger man Army uniform,and Maple Leaf cap badge.Not yet identified badge,but see you are in safe hand's with Liverpool Annie,so shouldn't be too long!
                       Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Goggy, Karen and Liverpool Annie (where do people get these names ?!) ... I'll check out the site and let you know ... I'm keen to do as much 'roots' searching as poss before mid September ... one of the Canadian relatives is coming to UK and wants to know EVERYTHING !!!
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydart,

Do you have any thoughts of who this man might be?  What are the family surnames, perhaps you will be able to find him in the WWI database?

Here's the link

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/020106_e.html

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Talking with a friend who is a Retired Major in the Canadian Forces, he had this say,

"Looks like RCAF summer dress commonly referred to as TW's (Tropical Worsted).  The Army had a similar dress but with no hip pocket buttons and  we wore a brown not black tie. Futher the wedgie headress looks light blue ie.RCAF"

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 August 06 19:54 BST (UK) »
Aha, Found you!...
A George E. Stubbs who fought WW2, RCAF, died in 2000 in B.C...J.J.
http://www.legionmagazine.com/lastpost/default.asp#search
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 August 06 07:52 BST (UK) »
I've been doing a bit more research on these two mystery men; I found www.servicepub.com and to my delight found an incredibly knowledgeable and helpful man, who has put forward the following info on these two pictures.

(Re the younger, seated soldier)
The soldier is most definitely Canadian, although he is wearing the 5-button British Service Dress uniform.  The formation patch on his sleeve will assist in further identifying the unit to which he belonged. The 5 Canadian Divisions each wore a different coloured rectangle. In addition, each rectangle then had one of four different shapes added to the top - circle, half-moon, triangle and square. These shapes were in three different colours for a total of 128 different possibilities.  This soldier obviously has the half-moon on top of the rectangle. The problem now lies in the colours. The black & white photo doesn't confirm the colours - only that the rectangle and half-moon appear to be the same. This leaves us with three possibilities; 7th Battalion, 28th Bn or 46th Bn. My educated guess is the 46th which wore green formation patches as the photo doesn't look like it is either red or dark blue (both of which are much denser/darker in B&W photos. Based on the 46th Bn, this may help you in determining the subject. The 46th was disbanded after the war, as were all the battalions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Its Battle Honours are perpetuated by several different regiments, all of which are based in Saskatchewan where the 46th raised and recruited most of its strength. http://www.saskd.ca/skd-hon.htm
Unfortunately, the three possibilities all used a Maple Leaf motif for their cap badge and the photo is not clear enough to make out any detail. The same for the collar badges. The subject wears the standard "Canada" shoulder titles so nothing can be determined from this insignia.

Re the other picture, of the older standing man:

Photo no. 1 cannot be 47th as the Distinguishing Patch for the 47th has a very pronounced triangle on top of the rectangle. Photo No.2 appears to be the same man based on the shape of the chin. In the second photo the subject is wearing a Canadian Army Khaki Drill uniform (this pattern was limited to summer use and for wear in Canada only). A close look over the subject's left breast pocket reveals some campaign ribbons. It would follow that these are the ribbons earned for service in the First World War.  He is not an officer - he is wearing a black tie and not a Khaki one - and he appears too old to be a Private. He has no Corporal's or Sergeant's stripes however, he may have a Warrant Officer 1st of 2nd Class badge of rank at the cuff of his sleeve. Chances are that he is a member of the Veteran's Guard of Canada. This was an organisation much like the British Home Guard. The VGC were used to guard Prisoner of War camps and other duties.

So I havent yet discovered who this man in the pictures was, but I know a lot more about other things than I did a week ago !

Re the info gained so far about the son of John James Stubbs, one Herbert Arthur Stubbs, I have found this from the Contalmaison war cemetery:

In Memory of
Private H A STUBBS

629370, 47th Bn., Canadian Infantry (Western Ontario Regiment)
who died age 23
on 25 October 1916
Son of John James and Jessie Stubbs, of 1266, Seventh Avenue West Vancouver, British Columbia.
Remembered with honour
SUNKEN ROAD CEMETERY, CONTALMAISON

War is a terrible thing ...

Thanks to all who have helped ... Lydart