Author Topic: john vickers ww1 durham  (Read 2070 times)

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
john vickers ww1 durham
« on: Friday 04 August 06 02:04 BST (UK) »
wondered if any one could help with this one havent got a regiment or anything really just a tale from gran that her half brother died ww1 aged approx 21 been on commenwealth war graves and cant find him.i have also been and looked at durhams war memorials found one in the right area and it said r.a.m.c so i guess this is the medical corps does anyone know where i can get any more info from or give me any ideas     thanks lila 
downie/north shields.vickers/durham. bugg/middlesbrough.storke/ middlesbrough.laityhelston cornwall.

Offline manchester regt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: john vickers ww1 durham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 06 12:08 BST (UK) »
hiya lila
pte john,charles vickers
RAMC
born portsmouth
enlisted dover
died of wounds in france 18-6-1917
he was in the regulars not the territorial force
mack
manchester regiment,ww1

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 06 12:19 BST (UK) »
thanks mack but dont think he is mine johnwas born in durham
downie/north shields.vickers/durham. bugg/middlesbrough.storke/ middlesbrough.laityhelston cornwall.

Offline manchester regt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 06 15:06 BST (UK) »
lila,what was his parents names,was it john and elizabeth
mack
manchester regiment,ww1

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 06 00:37 BST (UK) »
hi know his fathers name was john william vickers but dont know wifes name . i know that john william the father was also in the war he had not seen his son for years until they met and were in the same regiment so legend has it my gran said the son went over the top and never returned the father went looking for him but was injured and spent nxt 30 years bedridden i do not know which regiment they were in but my mother seems to rember a photo of her grandad in tartan pants and khaki jacket and a little hat that had a ribbon down the back we thought this might be tyneside scottish but cant find any record of either of them bit of a sad story i think .dont know why but i feel i must try and find this boy  thanks for the interest and im sorry if im abit thick but know nothing at all about army regiments or the uniform i have been on every web site trying to find out about these two chaps    thanks lila

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 06 00:47 BST (UK) »
hi mack  let me just explain that the father my great grandfather john william was married before and had two sons one of them is the john i am looking for that is how i do not know wifes name and my gran was one of his second wifes kids she also said that he died on his 21st birthday but i dont think they really knew each other and she had just been told this so how much this is true i dont know another little thing i remember her saying was that john william her father went to alnwick to recover for ages before he was allowed home when i say ages she said 2 years but i dont know if this is true and why would it be alnwick which is miles away from wallsend wherthey lived thanks for reading      lila

Offline manchester regt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 06 06:13 BST (UK) »
lila,i think this could be your gt gt grandfather.
john,william vickers
20th northumberland fusiliers [tyneside scottish]
No 20/208
enlisted 28-10-14
deserted 5-6-15
sent to 29th batt and discharged 28-8-16 kings reg para 392
lived fairfield,durham
occupation,miner
his description was in the police gazette,he deserted in england
monsstar will be able to tell you what kings reg para 392 is,i think it was no longer fit for further service,he was probably wounded.
mack
manchester regiment,ww1

Offline lila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 August 06 15:57 BST (UK) »
hi mack very interesting john was a miner but the only thing is he lived in wallsend northumberland from about 1908 so im not sure if this is him thanks tho did you find these records on line?    lila

Offline manchester regt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 August 06 16:50 BST (UK) »
its from my own records lila,dont worry about the desertion bit,half the british army went absent in ww1,usually because of difficulties at home or they just wanted a few more days with their families,he seems to have returned to his battalion and went to france,the police gazette may hold more info,mack
manchester regiment,ww1