Author Topic: Grocer's Shop, 1901  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Kit 52

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Grocer's Shop, 1901
« on: Sunday 06 August 06 19:22 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a grocer's shop in 1901, run by Andrew Fleming ? He was married to Barbara Gardner in 1888. In the 1901 census, they were living at 23, Drumcross with their children,  John, David, Andrew, Margaret, Thomas and William . Andrew's profession is listed as grocer / shopkeeper.

Kit

Offline FlemingCJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grocer's Shop, 1901
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit,

I don't have information on the shop but I do have a little more info somewhere on Andrew and Barbara if you would like - he was the brother of my great grandfather John Fleming  and the son of John and Jane (Martin) Fleming.   They also had a brother Thomas and a couple of other siblings who died young.

Chris

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Kit and Chris

That grocery shop was at the corner of Jarvey Street and High Hopetoun Street.  The business was later run by Willie Fleming.  Willie's twin brother Tommy was a joiner and, by coincidence, he trained my elderly next-door neighbour in his joinery apprenticeship.  Gerry, my next-door neighbour, says the family built a biggish house in Balbardie Road and moved there from Drumcross Road.

The Flemings lived variously in Mid Street, Hopetoun Lane, Mill Road and Drumcross Road.

Chris, was John a shoemaker?  He's the only suitable one I can find in the 1891 -census lodging with the Kays in Corstorphine.

However, both of you point your browsers at - note there is no www.:

thoshar.orpheusweb.co.uk/KirktonChurchyard/

No, I'm not connected - I'm just interested, being a VP and the Editor of West Lothian Family History Society.

www.wlfhs.org.uk

Cheers,

Tom

Offline FlemingCJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 November 08 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Tom, thank you very much for the pictures!   Someday I hope to visit Bathgate in person but I'm not sure when it will be.   

As for the John Fleming in the 1891 census I don't know if that is my great grandfather or not.   His grandfather Andrew Fleming (d. 1877) was a shoemaker but I don't know much about John until after his arrival in the U.S.   He was definitely here in 1894 working at the famous steel works at Homestead, PA (near Pittsburgh) where he was fatally injured.   My grandfather was only three at the time so we never knew much of the family until relatively recently.

His brother Andrew was the grocer that was the topic of this post originally (thanks for the info on him too!) - I have a copy of his death registration from 1926 which said he died at "Liany" Balbardie Road.  His wife Barbara died in 1941 at Braehead.    Their son Andrew was killed in WWI and buried in France. 
I think Andrew and Barbara still have some grandchildren around descending from their sons John and William.

Tom - thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.   If you have any lookups you need around Pittsburgh PA let me know - I'm not real close but I do get down there several times a year and I could try to help you out.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Kit 52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 08 16:39 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Chris,

I don't know how to access the info on Kirkton Churchyard, I wondered how you did it ?

Kit

Offline FlemingCJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 November 08 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kit,

I was able to see them - I just did a copy and paste of the link:

thoshar.orpheusweb.co.uk/KirktonChurchyard/

and it came up for me.   

You don't by any chance have any info on John and Andrew's brother Thomas do you?  I saw him with his parents in the 1891 Census but after that couldn't locate him.

Chris

Offline Kit 52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 November 08 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Sorry, I don't have anything on Thomas. I think my Grandad, John Fleming ( b. Bathgate, 23rd Oct. 1875, parents, William & Barbara Fleming ) may have been related to Andrew, perhaps cousins ? He was an apprentice in the grocer's shop.
There were so many FLEMINGS in Bathgate, it's hard to know.

Kit

Offline Kit 52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 November 08 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris & Tom,

Well, I finally managed it, did as Chris suggested, and lo and behold....... Kirkton Churchyard !
Thank you, Tom.

Kit