Author Topic: The Payne Family  (Read 16359 times)

Offline lindagene

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The Payne Family
« on: Sunday 06 August 06 19:29 BST (UK) »
I have been searching the records for the Payne family forever, and yet it seems that the only other people looking at this name are my two second cousins.  As far as I understand it, Payne is a long established Essex name and I am amazed that nobody else out there seems to be even interested in the Paynes.
Did we do something REALLY awful at some time?  ??? ??? so that nobody wants to be associated with us  :-\

We married into other families as well,
Thomas, Barnes, Baker, Sullings, Greenaway  and these are only the ones I am sure of, there are male Paynes who married and whose wives surnames I am unaware of.

Isn't there anybody out there who would like to know more about the Paynes?

Lindy
Snowdon, Collinson,  Durham, Northumberland,Yorkshire
Payne, Essex    Baker  Norfolk/Essex/Australia
Davies  Staffordshire, Shropshire

Offline Douglas P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Payne Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 06 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy,

As well as the Surname Interests Table here, you could try the 'Surname Interests' at the Essex Society for Family History, www.esfh.org.uk and look on the Essex Surnames List at www.annemarieshuttle.webspace.virginmedia.com.

The only other suggestion is to search Rootschat for Payne Essex.

Hope this helps,

Douglas

(Edit, Jan 2011: Link updated)
East Kilbride:     Macaulay, Scott
Lanarkshire:      Graham, Brown, Struthers, Smith, McMillan, Napier
Dunnet:             Nicholson, Douglas
Halkirk:             Fraser, Campbell
Thurso:             Coghill, Houston
W. Lothian:       McKay
Muiravonside:   Nimmo, Robertson
Alloa:                Johnstone, Syme
Tillicoultry:         MacDonald

Offline lindagene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 August 06 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Douglas,

Many thanks for your response, looks like it may be worth persuing the asshuttle site as the name is listed there.
Always searching....

Lindy

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 September 06 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindy

I have one Payne in my tree. Probably won't help you much, but here goes...

Charles Payne, born about 1910, somewhere in Essex(!), married Marjorie Wells, born 1914 in Middlesex. They lived in Essex, she died in Southend in 1995.

Marjorie had a number of siblings, one of whom was my maternal grandfather, Edward.

Regards from Germany,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindy

I have Paynes from Essex in my tree, they are mostly from the Ingave/East Horndon area.

My Paynes are: Mary Ann Payne married Deglan Dwane in 1875 in Dover, she was born 1854 Ingrave. Her parents were John Payne born abt 1821  East Horndon and Mary Meen. John Payne's parents I believe (I need to get to the RO to check his baptism) are John Payne born abt 1791 and Susan (Gibson). I have not been able to verify anymore as its difficult for me to get to the Essex RO. There are not many references to Paynes in East Horndon on the websites.

Regards Vicky.
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline lindagene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicky,

Nice to hear from you, have to admit that I have not been doing a lot on the family tree stuff over this last year, family commitments have been numerous, sadly.
My Paynes all started in the Ingrave/East Horndon area.   Two years ago my sister and I travelled to Essex where we met a couple of second cousins, one we knew from years ago, the other we had never met.  We travelled to Ingrave and actually stayed in an old inn in Horndon on the Hill.

John Payne and Susan Gibson had I believe  seven children.  John was born in 1790 Susan in 1792  and they married in the parish church of Ingrave and West Horndon on October 4th 1814.  This I have from Parish Records.
John Payne's parents were John and Elizabeth but I have no more information about them than their names.
I have their children, again from the parish records, as being  Susanna b. 1816  Eliza b. 1818  John b. 1820  he was baptised Jan 1820 in the All Saints church East Horndon  Thomas b. 1821  William (my ancestor) b. 1823  Joseph b. 1826  and Edward b. 1828.
According to my records I have John 1820 marrying Mary Ann (?) b. 1831  and having three children   John b.1861  Richard b.1863 and Alice b. 1870

Now this sort of matches with what you have, but I have to admit that the name Meen is a new one on me.
I do hope that I have not got it wrong, but in this game you can never be really sure can you.

I am quite sure that there were a number of Payne families in that area, and I am positive that all of them were called John at one time or another.  Just to make life simple.  But there cannot have been all that many Susan Gibsons who married a John Payne I would not have thought.  Can you let me know where the Meens come into the picture?
And just when I thought that I had it all figured!

Strangely enough, I have just changed my wallpaper on the computer to show the church at Fobbing
Essex  where a number of my ancestors are buried.  Whilst on our trip to Fobbing my second cousin, my sister and myself found ourselves sitting in a cottage which had once been lived in by our ggg grandfather sipping coffee with the present owners and looking at the original deeds for the cottage.  My ancestor had run this tiny cottage as a post office whilst working as the local builder and bringing up I forget exactly how many children at the same time.  Remarkable.

I hope that this information gives you pleasure and food for thought.

Whereabouts are you, obviously not Essex from what you say.

Best regards

Lindy

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

No I am not in Essex, I live just north of Bristol so with two young children as well its a bit of a trek to Chelmsford to visit the RO. I am hoping to travel to Essex later this year so I am going to try and fit a trip around some of the villages my family are from in between visiting aunts and uncles. That must have been such an experience to sit in that cottage!!!

Mary Ann Mean married John Payne (born 1820) son of John and Susan, he was a blind basket maker. I was able to get Susan's maiden name from the parish records when I visited the Soc Genealogist's library last year - sadly I could not find any information on John's parents as I could not find his baptism in their records.

John and Mary's children were Mary 1854, Susanna 1858 plus the children you had. There was also another child Sarah born abt 1851 but I think this was Mary's illegimate child, pre-marriage. Mary born 1854 married Deglan Dwane, they are my ggrt grandparents.

Regards Vicky.

As you say there are too many Paynes in Essex so find the correct ones is like a needle in a haystack!
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline Purvis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 December 10 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with my family tree, which includes an Emma Payne... It is odd as my Grandfather Arthur Edward Howard, on my mothers side had 4 children, on my mothers birth certificate it says her mothers maiden name was Florence Mary Payne. two of her siblings, one born before her and one after have mothers maiden name as Florrie Mary Lovell.

I have found that my grandfather married a Florrie Mary Lovell which all makes sense, apart from the fact that the name Payne on my mothers birth certificate.

My grandfather was buried in Abney Park cemetery in 1940, along with Mary Florrie Howard who died in 1929, but also in that grave is Emma Payne born 1867 died 1931.

Anybody any clues???

Offline rla10

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 January 11 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Five years on...not sure if anyone is still subscribed to this, but Payne is a name with rather a lot of history attached to it in Essex. My secondary school was St John Payne in Chelmsford. John Payne was one of the 40 (? can't quite remember now) Martyrs of England and was a Catholic priest hidden by the Petre family at Ingatestone Hall (who still live there and he is the Lord Lieutenant of Essex) John Payne was eventually found and burned at the stake during Elizabeth's reign.

That might be a little inaccurate, but just a little potted history  :)