Author Topic: Descendants of Charles Gideon WINTER?  (Read 19804 times)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Descendants of Charles Gideon WINTER?
« on: Monday 07 August 06 14:54 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if there is a connection between Charles G. Winter's grandfather William Winter, and my own Winter family.  I suspect that his grandfather is the same William Winter as my 3xGgrandfather.

If anyone has further information about this family, I'd love to hear :)

Leigh

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of Charles Gideon Winter?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 06 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Leigh,
Many of us may not know the details of the man whose info you are seeking in Aust.
Could you cross reference your theads from other boards if relevant or provide a bit more informmation so we can help.
Thanks
sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 August 06 23:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry Sue, I didn't want to bombard the board with unnecessary details, but probably better too many than too few?

I've read about Charles Gideon Winter in a chapter of an online book 'The Golden Falcon' http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~pillagoda/ch16-03.htm  (Editting to add that I've tried emailing the author but email address seems to be out of use).

According to a letter he wrote in 1949, from his home in Bussleton, W.A. to a Rev. Chalres Henry Winter back in England:

He came to Australia with his parents (unnamed) in about 1879 (I've picked up an error here, he says he was born 1867 and came out when he was 2 so I assume they travelled in 1869).  He had a brother William, who ended up going to Johannesburg.  He lived in Tasmania for several years, where he met his wife (unnamed).  He had three sons and a daughter.  He fought in the Boer War, and he and his sons in WW1, I've been able to find them on the nominal rolls.  He also had a daughter, he lived in South Africa for a while, and he settled in Western Australia.

This is what I'm most interested in:
In this letter he speaks of his grandfather William Winter, back in England, a poulterer, who moved with his young wife Sarah from Somerset to Wales, first Tenby then Narberth.

Now as it happens, my GGGrandfather William Winter was born in Tenby (abt 1840).  According to his marriage cert. his father was also William, a poulterer.

I'm suspect Charles's grandfather William is the same as my 3xGgf William, and I'm trying to make that link. 

I wondered if there are any of his children's descendents who may have further information about the family.  I have also asked about my Winter side of this story in this thread if you're interested: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,173926.msg828639.html#msg828639

Thanks for reading!

Leigh

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 08:17 BST (UK) »
hello there

charles gideon winter was born in 1867 in narbeth pembrokshire

he is on the 1871 census   so they came to aus  after that time 

his father was john winter born 1836 Tenby pembrokshire wales

his parents were william  and sarah winter

now they did have several children  one was
WILLIAM born 1840  tenby 
by the census  this father william  was a poultreer

so  you could very   well presume  that they  are indeed brothers  I cannot find another william  born 1840  at tenby by  the census

also  charles gideon  married  ADA SLEIGHTHOLM  in tasmania 1873

I am having a look to see where john  and his wife francis  ended up 

charles talks about his faher dying aged 67  but dosent say where  i will try vicotira  cause he states he went to school there

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Leigh,
NAA has done it again for us
Charles Gideon Winter actually enlisted for ww1 aged 45
His next of kin was wife ADA and her address was 16 Bennett Street E. Perth
A Charles Robert Winter also enlisted and his NOK was Charles Edian Winter, This turns out to be a bad mis spelling of Gideon and his father's address is 16 Bennett Street E, Perth.
Both are digitised. It shows a few moves around Aust. including Tas..
Sue

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 08:55 BST (UK) »
Just found another son.Noel Stephen Winter.
This lovely file contains hand-written consent to joiin from Charles Gideon because the boy was underage.  S.

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much ladies

I just typed a response and got timed out and lost it.  I was saying that that is indeed the information about Charles Gideon and his sons.  He also had a younger son again, John, who fought in the same battalion as he.  I assume he would've had to write a letter for him too, being under age.  I did find them on the nominal roll for the war, but didn't look much further, as I wasn't sure these were part of my Winters. 

Thanks Jenn for confirming that Charles' father was John, as I suspected, he being the only of William and Sarah's sons not mentioned (besides William, the one I think might be mine, ironically enough), and saying there was always a John in the family.  So John married a Francis.. hmm I'd guess her surname was Morris...

I wonder when they came out then, as in Charles' correspondance, he states they sailed out in 1879, but says he was 2 at the time... so perhaps he wrote 12 and someone's made a typo... hmm... school in Vic, lived in Tas and Perth... if you do find any information on the whereabouts of John's death or anything, I'd be most interested.

Is it too much of a conclusion to jump to, saying that William and Sarah's son William, b. 1840 in Tenby is the same as my William?  Could there have been 2 Williams born that year, whos fathers were named William and were poulterers??  (Actually I think my William was born in late 1839...)

Another 'coincidence' is the property at Narberth is named Redstone... and my GGrandfather came to Aust. and built a home in the 1930s, and it was named Redstone.  I'm told it was named after the home they'd moved from, but I wonder if THAT home had been named after the original one back in Wales... AND there's a John in that family as well! lol

Thanks again for the information, I will keep looking for links!  I wonder if I can find any descendants of Charles Gideons children...

Leigh 

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 10:29 BST (UK) »
hello there leigh

now tell us more

when did  your william  come out to australia  and where?

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 11:09 BST (UK) »
OhYes
I see John Alexander now.  there is a summary of his Will so that his mother is beneficiary.  She is [sure enough] at 16 Bennett St. .  There is a form signed by  CharlesGideon, [but no lovely letter ]to let him join at 18 yrs and 7 months.
S