Author Topic: Peter Jones - Alfrick marriage c1840  (Read 1438 times)

Offline ziksby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bye and bye our little clocks will cease to tick
    • View Profile
Peter Jones - Alfrick marriage c1840
« on: Tuesday 08 August 06 00:58 BST (UK) »
In 1844 my ggg grandfather James Jones (b1794) a bootmaker from Alfrick, emigrated to the States as a Mormon convert leaving behind his 2 eldest sons, one of whom was my gg grandfather, Henry Jones (b 1815).

One of the younger son's who went to the States was Peter (b 1819). He was apparently married, but his wife would not go with him. In a letter home to Henry from Liverpool docks, James writes "Respecting Peter's concerns, I called myself at his mother-in-law's, and asked for Susan, and she declared she should not come.   I said "Are you then determined?" Her answer was, "No I shall not go with any such scamps."
There may have been a child or two from this marriage. Whilst I have many letters to Henry from his father and his sister, there is no other mention of Peter's wife. Peter married again in the States to an American woman in Utah. His descendants also believe he was married before he emigrated, but don't know any details.
I have been unable to find any marriage for Peter or ascertain his wife's maiden name. The family converted to Mormonism in 1840 along with many members of the United Brethren sect. Some of James's children were baptised Countess of Huntingdon.
So would the marriage details be lost with the United Brethren or Countess of Huntingdon's records? Any suggestions as to who this mystery Susan might be?
There is a marriage in Leigh on 1 March 1843 for a Peter Jones and Susannah Portman. These were cousins so not the marriage I'm looking for.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Roger Jones

PS  Full letter transcripts for anyone interested in the Jones family's tragic journey to Utah and Mormon Pioneer life can be found here .......
http://www.freewebs.com/littlebury
Alfrick. Worcestershire - Jones<br />Bidford on Avon, Warwickshire - Pettifor, Bennett<br />West Felton, Oswestry - Mansell