Author Topic: Montagu in Bridge nr. Canterbury  (Read 5308 times)

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Montagu in Bridge nr. Canterbury
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 10:29 GMT (UK) »
looking for Montagu family in the Canterbury, Kent area 1810 - 1856.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Montagu in Bridge nr. Canterbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helenna

Welcome to Rootschat

Do you have any first names and dates for the people that you are looking for?  Do tell us some of what you know already and what you are hoping to find - we'd love to be able to help :)

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 05 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for replying.  I am looking for my grandfather - Henry Grahame Montagu 's birth details. He quotes in the 1901 census that he was born 1839 Bridge, Canterbury Kent. Also on marriage certificates he names his father as Charles of Independant means. In spite of extensive research by many people  we are unable to find his birth details or details of his family, mother etc.  I do know all details of his life from the age of 17.
Would welcome information on the above.
Many thanks

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 March 06 14:20 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if anyone is familiar with records and history of Bridge???????
My grandfather Henry Grahame Montagu was born 1839 Bridge. In spite of extensive research I am unable to find birth records. I would dearly love to know who his family was. According to records his father was named Charles, mother unknown. I have searched all known resources, without success. This is more than a brick wall , so would welcome any information.

Hopeful
Helenna

Offline Tracey Amos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helenna

My apologies if you already know this and I'm barking up the wrong tree. But just in case I'll post anyway. If he was born in the district of Bridge he could well of been born in any one of the following parishes that came under Bridge.

Adisham, Barham, Bekesbourne, Bishopsbourne, Bridge, Chartham, Fordwich, Harbledown, Ickham and Well, Kingston, Littlebourne, Lower Hardres, Mint, Nackington, Patrixbourne, Petham, St. Nicholas Hospital, Stodmarsh, Thanington Within (1837-1910), Thanington Without, Upper Hardres, Waltham, Westgate Without (1837-1910), Wickhambreux, Womenswold.

Trace
Kennett from Wye and Canterbury
Farrier from Littlebourne & Fordwich
Beer from Chislet
Amos from Wye & Canterbury
Cheeseman from Canterbury & Blean area
Oliver from Ash
Holden from Sholden/Northbourne/ Worth area
Croud from Faversham/Blean

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trace,

Many thanks for looking into Bridge area for me. I willmake a note of the parishes.
Not to sure how to go about looking for him in those parishes. Upto now no one has been able to find a record of his birth, even though extensive research has been done.
 Once again thanks.

Helenna

Offline Tracey Amos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helenna, I don't know where abouts you are, but the very best place to look if you can get there at all is Canterbury Cathedral Archives and trawl through all the parishes, or the Library, in fact the library are very helpful if you contact them, they will try to do a search for you for up to half an hour I believe, so if you could narrow it down in any way they may be able to help you.

Trace
Kennett from Wye and Canterbury
Farrier from Littlebourne & Fordwich
Beer from Chislet
Amos from Wye & Canterbury
Cheeseman from Canterbury & Blean area
Oliver from Ash
Holden from Sholden/Northbourne/ Worth area
Croud from Faversham/Blean

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 March 06 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helenna

If you know he was born in 1839, you should be able to get his birth certificate from the GRO.  This will obviously give you the information you need.

Have you actually checked the original registers at the FRC?  The on-line sources are not always totally reliable.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 March 06 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill
Yes, have looked at official records at GRO. Without success. This is the mystery where are his birth records????????
Think his parents are of military origin, once again search has been done in official records, once again without success. Have all details of his life from the age of 17 but his life before is a mystery.
Much appreciate your interest and help.
Helenna