Author Topic: Church Minshull ~ St Bartholomew  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church Minshull ~ St Bartholomew
« on: Wednesday 09 August 06 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anybody possibly tell me whether there are any memorial tablets/tombstons relating to the WADE family located inside St Bartholomew's Church?

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Johnbeddows

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Researching BEDDOW(S) Shropshire, Liverpool
HANNAH, ROBINSON, LIGGETT, WEBSTER, RAWLINS, PRYCE, KERR Liverpool

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Church Minshull ~ St Bartholomew
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 August 06 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Thank you very much for these interesting links.  Unfortunately, they don't make any mention of monuments.  Never mind!

Thanks

Jayson

Offline norma_jess

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 07 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I am researching the Wade Family who are from this area.  Apparently there is a vault relating to the Wade family close to the tower. I visited the church today but could find no vault as  there was scaffolding and corrugated sheets around the tower as repair work is being carried out. There was no inscriptions inside the church. I was wondering if you had found any information out on this subject? as apparently there is a list of the names of the people that are in the vault in chester archives as it was opened in the 1980s.

regards

Norma
North Wales Denbighshire .Williams. Hopwood.
Flintshire. Williams. Griffiths. Clarke. Hopwood.
Cheshire. Darlington. Stubbs.
Staffordshire. Darlington. Stubbs. Fieldhouse. Biddulph.
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancashire. Johnson/Johnston. Bebbington. Harris. Pimlott.
Cumberland. Marriner. Tuddenham. Crozier, Bell. Johnson/Johnston. Norman.
Northumberland.  Marriner. Leathard. Common
Norfolk. Tuddenham. Rolfe. Rosier.

Census information is Crown Co

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 May 07 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Norma

I'm pleased that this topic has been brought back to life again!

I visited Church Minshull last year, and, like you, couldn't find any tombstones relating to the Wade family in the churchyard there.  I thought it possible that there might have been a memorial tablet or something inside indicating the location of a family vault.  However, the church was locked up when I went. 

Now you mention it, I do seem to remember seeing a large-ish vault in the churchyard (close to the tower) but it appeared to be blank, or at least worn.   

My ancestor's sister, Ann Bayley, married Edward Wade in the seventeenth century.  Ann was born at Madeley in Staffordshire in 1659.  She was the daughter of James Bayley and Jane Weston.

The BT's for Church Minshull have the burials of Ann and her husband, Edward:

"Mrs Ann Wade wife to Mr Edward Wade, Gent buried the 7th Sept 1727."

"Mr Edward Wade buried Feb the 14th 1735."

Is this the same family that you are researching? I am going to Chester very soon and will ask about the list of persons buried in the vault.  How did you find out about this?

There's also a General Wade. But I don't know much about him.  He died in the 1760s.  I was told of his existence by a local historian.  He also showed me a picture of the house where the Wade family lived.

Best

Jayson

Offline Rinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 May 07 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson

This is the family I am researching, my line comes down from Edward Wade through his daughter Mary who married a Henshaw Stubbs. I have information on the Stubbs, but none on the Wades. I found the information about the Wade tomb on the Church Minshull website: http://www.churchminshull.org.uk/history2.htm. There was a mention of an Edward Wade son of Edward Wade date? within the church with regards to giving money to the poor but that was all, unless there was a plaque in the back room?

I too was planning a trip to chester records office got lots to look up!!

Regards Corinne and Norma

North Wales: Denbighshire: Williams, Griffiths, Davies, Jones, Speed, Matthias, Hopwood, Pugh, Hughes, Edwards, Rowland, Blower (Bloor)
Flintshire: Blower (Bloor), Williams, Clarke
Staffordshire: Darlington, Stubbs, Biddulph
Cheshire: Stubbs, Wade, Henshaw(Henshall)
Cumberland: Marriner, Tuddenham, Bell, Norman, Crozier
Norfolk: Tuddenham, Rolfe, Rosier

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 07 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Corinne/Norma

I suppose you already have the will of the Edward Wade I mentioned in my last post? I got his will from the record office in Chester via their online ordering system.  I haven't looked at the will for some time, but I think Edward left his property to his son Peter Wade.

There was also a son called Hugh.  He was baptised at Madeley in Staffordshire, and was, I think, the couple's first child.  I think it was usual in those days for the wife to return to her home parish for the birth of the first child.

If your interested, you can find out a bit more about the family from whom your direct ancestor, Ann Wade (nee Bayley) was descended from in Burke's Landed Gentry (1937 edition) under "Bayley of Willaston Hall". Chester Record Office have a copy of this.

Interestingly, Ann's grandfather, John Weston, left money in his will to John Bradshaw.  He presided over the trial of King Charles I, after which he pronounced the sentence to the king.

Will see what else I find on the Wade family.

Jayson

Offline Rinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 May 07 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson

Nope I don't have the will for Edward Wade, I only recently found out that there was one for him, Im going to chester archieves a week tuseday so I was going to have a look then. I have seen a partical transcript of it though on ancestry and he did leave the property to Peter. I didn't know about the son Hugh, and I've just found Edward Wades marriage in Madeley.

Do you know the reason why John Weston would leave money to John Bradshaw?

Im looking forward to digging up some more information on the family, as I haven't had time to look for a long while!! :)

Corinne
North Wales: Denbighshire: Williams, Griffiths, Davies, Jones, Speed, Matthias, Hopwood, Pugh, Hughes, Edwards, Rowland, Blower (Bloor)
Flintshire: Blower (Bloor), Williams, Clarke
Staffordshire: Darlington, Stubbs, Biddulph
Cheshire: Stubbs, Wade, Henshaw(Henshall)
Cumberland: Marriner, Tuddenham, Bell, Norman, Crozier
Norfolk: Tuddenham, Rolfe, Rosier

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 07 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Corinne

I'll give you some details on the Weston family in my next post.  Hugh Wade, Edward and Ann's son, was named after his grandfather, Hugh Weston, of Madeley.

John Bradshaw was a successful lawyer.  It's possible that John Weston had occasion to use his services as a lawyer to resolve some dispute, and this bequest might have been a token of thanks.  I think there is something in Chancery about a dispute.  I think it's Weston vs Offley.

You can find out more about John Bradshaw at:

http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/biog/bradshaw.htm

Jayson