Author Topic: 1891/1901 Wirral censii Look up - POWELL  (Read 3402 times)

Offline suemuffy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1891/1901 Wirral censii Look up - POWELL
« on: Wednesday 09 August 06 13:28 BST (UK) »
Would someone kindly look up John Powell b. 1855 West Kirby (wife Elizabeth 1856) in the 1891 and 1901 census please. A previous search had been unable to locate him but he may possibly be Poole in error. I have recently received information that John Poole was landlord of the Black Horse in 1901 which was the pub owned by his father William prior to his death and I wondered if he had taken over but his name had been entered incorrectly on the census.
Thank you
POWELL - Liverpool and Wirral
ADAIR - Liverpool and Ireland
BAUGH - Shropshire, Staffordshire and Yorkshire
WILKINSON - Staffordshire

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1891/1901 Wirral censii Look up - POWELL
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
Is there anything else to go on? Did they have any children that you know of ? Was Elizabeth also born West Kirby?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suemuffy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 17:20 BST (UK) »
Lilian Mary b. 1879 Ernest Morris b.1880 and Linda Elizabeth b.1884 all born West Kirby, Wirral.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 18:32 BST (UK) »
Suemuffy, does the name "Waring" mean anything to you  ?  There are some compelling similarities between your John Powell's family and the family of a Wirral farmer named John Waring as reported in the censuses for 1891 and 1901 (and to some extent to a family of that name in 1881 ).

1. Both Johns had wives named Elizabeth born West Kirby c.1856
2. Both had a child Lillian born West Kirby c.1879
3. Both had a child  Ernest  born West Kirby c.1880
4. Both had a child Linda born West Kirby c. 1884
5. John Waring's daughter Lillian is reported as Lily POWELL in the 1891 census, with "Waring" apparently added as her surname as an afterthought. In the same census, Earnest and Linda are given the middle initial P.

The only trouble is, John Waring's age in the 1891 and 1901 census suggests he was born c.1860 rather than 1855.  But I can see a Wirral marriage in Q3 1889 between a John Waring and an Elizabeth Powell...did he marry John Powell's widow? ..if any of this looks promising let me know and I'll post the full details...

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 19:53 BST (UK) »
Ok, SueMuffy, I think we've cracked it. Here's the scenario. Your John Powell dies aged 27 in 1883 ( Wirral 2Q 1883 8a p321 ). Elizabeth marries local farmer John Waring in 1889 ( Wirral 3Q 1889 8a 711). The Powell children take the Waring name, but perhaps not without protest hence the inclusion of Powell or the initial 'P" for a middle name in the 1891 census.

Here's the Waring census data for 1891 and 1901 ( NB the 1881 family that I referred to in my earlier post seems to be a red herring - just a family with very similar names but different birthplaces and slightly different ages):

1891 - RG12/2871 f.50 p7 - Ness:

John Waring 30 - farmer - b. Bunstage ( ?) Cheshire
Elizabeth Waring 34 b. West Kirby
Lily Powell Waring 11  do
Earnest P Waring 10  do
Linda P Waring 7  do
Jane Probyn 16 - domestic servant

1901 - RG13 /3382 f.43 p25 - Hooton farm

John Waring 41 farmer b. Brinstage (?) Cheshire
Elizabeth Waring 44  b. West Kirby
Lillian Waring 21 b. West Kirby
Ernest Waring 20 farmer's son b. West Kirby
Lena Waring 17 b. West Kirby (must be Linda ?)
Millicent Waring 11 b. West Kirby
Irene Waring 6  b. Neston

Offline suemuffy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 06 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Retiingtype!
Sorry I could not get back on line yesterday evening to respond to your query. Yes the name Waring is tied up with the family, Waring was Elizabeth's mother's maiden name who was also the aunt of John (they were cousins). Now it all makes sense, the information was there all the time on a family gravestone I found but as Elizabeth's maiden name was Powell, I thought the Waring had been added as her middle name, this is the inscription:

In loving memory of JOHN POWELL who died June 25th 1883 aged 27 years also JOHN the beloved husband of Elizabeth WARING who died May 3rd 1907 aged 46 years also Elizabeth wife of the above who died March 30th 1936 in her 80th year.

The Warings came from Brimstage, a tiny hamlet.  I was never able to find Elizabeth's mother's family, her name was Hannah Waring, daughter of William, a farmer and there was confusion over her DOB as her marriage certificate (25/1/1843) says she was 18 and her gravestone (29/1/03) says she died aged 82.  I'm wondering now if John Waring was a relative.
Neither of her husbands lasted very long and she was left with all those children. I'm still wondering about your earlier post with that similar named family.

Thank you so much for sorting this out, I can now start looking again.

Sue

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 August 06 09:59 BST (UK) »
Sue,

Here's that 1881 census entry for information :

32 Knutsford Road, Latchford, Cheshire RG11/3799 folio 95 p23

John H. Waring 36 Farmers Manager b. Leigh Lancs
Elizth. Waring 24  wife b. Warrington
Alice M. Waring 6  scholar b. Warrington
Lillian M. Waring 4 b. Latchford
Earnest Waring 2 do
Ethel B. Waring   6 months do.

It is a little uncanny - Elizabeth is the right age to be your Elizabeth Waring and she too has children Earnest and Lillian M. But the children's ages and birthplaces are "wrong", and your Elizabeth, Earnest and Lillian M are reported elsewhere in that Census as Powells. If your Elizabeth's mother was born a Waring, then one might hazard a guess that these families are related - maybe Elizabeth and both Johns are all cousins - and that those names Earnest and Lillian M will crop up further back in the Waring tree. Happy sleuthing !!

Offline suemuffy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 August 06 11:10 BST (UK) »
I found a birth of Irene Parsonage Waring in 1894 but I can't find Millicent's birth and if she was 11 why wasn't she on the 1891 census? I even checked Millicent Powell in case it was before Elizabeth married John. #I'm not aware of any Warings in Latchford but there again they are quite a prolific family! I never thought of Warrington being WARINGS Town before.
Cheers

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 August 06 12:06 BST (UK) »
Sue,

Looks like we solved one mystery and found another one.  I can't find any Millicents at all who were born Wirral in 1889 or early 1890, let alone a Waring or Powell. Nor can I find a death or marriage reference for a Millicent Waring b.c.1890 in the free BMD. Any clues from Elizabeth's grave inscription ? Perhaps Millicent was adopted or being fostered ?